For Sale: Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle, brass and dies

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
tikkathreebarrels

For Sale: Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle, brass and dies

#1 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

I bought this a couple of years ago, I no longer get the same access to ETR targetry so I'm selling up my Toblerone rifle. I've put about 100 rounds through it, mostly surplus GP11 and something like 2 dozen homeloads which I shot over a chrono to replicate the MV of the GP11.

It's a lovely rifle, great long thing it is, with leather sling which I'd like to say is original. All numbers match, it's an ex-service rifle and I've given it a rub with the linseed oil.

Selling up so comes with 100 new cases, some not yet fired and a set of Lee dies. Cannot find my original invoice but looking to get it all away for £280 plus transfer fees if necessary.

I'll upload a photo tomorrow but here's some information about the type:

"Barrel Length - 30.7 inches: 4-groove, RH, concentric rifling, 1 in 10.63"
(approx 6000 96/11s had a twist rate of 1 in 9")
Overall Length - 51.2 inches
Weight - 9.94lbs empty
Action - Schmidt-Rubin Straight Pull
Caliber - 7.5x55 Swiss (GP11)
Capacity - 6 round detachable box magazine
Sights - Tangent-leaf sight graduated to 2000m
Total Production : 135,770
Bayonet: Models 1889,1899 & 1906

As early as 1903 there discussion about the adoption of a lighter, easier to handle rifle, with increased velocity cartridges. It had been determined that there were severe ballistic shortcomings to the 89/96 action /GP90 cartridge combination. In late 1907, the Swiss Rifle Commission gave permission to Waffenfabrik Bern to create 200 rifles for testing purposes. The rifle were built with the following configurations:

fifty rifles with 1889/96 Barrels firing GP90 cartridges,
fifty rifles with 1889/96 Barrels firing GP90 cartridges, and re-milled cartridge chamber, fifty rifles with 1889/96 Barrels and new cartridges and re-milled cartridge chamber,
fifty rifles with new barrels and new cartridges

Other modifications included the removal of the magazine cut-off, improved sights, and an integral rifle rest. While the integral rifle rest was discarded as superfluous, the testing otherwise proved successful.. This led to the authorization of the creation of 900 Rifles and 100 Carbines, for the purposed of testing the new GP08 (later redesignated GP11) cartridge. The 1908 Rifles and Carbines were fitted with Model 1889/1900 style 6 round magazines, and improved sights. The 1908s also had several unique features, not found in other Schmidt-Rubin models. The locking lug sleeve of the 1908’s bolt had three circular holes, presumably for weight savings purposes. In addition, the relief cuts on the top of 1908s receiver were of different length, with the longer cut set along the center of the receiver, with the shorter cut off to the side. On all other Schmidt-Rubins, the relief cuts were of equal length, and both cuts were equally offset from the centerline of the receiver.

By around 1907, the Swiss knew the old GP90 cartridge was inferior to those being adopted by their neighbors. So they started testing a new round. They built the 1908 series for this purpose. The 1908 has some unique feature, not seen in other Schmidt-Rubins, including three holes in the bolt. Testing showed the VGP08 cartridge produced significantly better results than the GP90 cartridge. Consequently, the VGP08 cartridge was adopted as the GP11 cartridge.

It was determined that the 89/96 could easily be converted (Model 1889s could not) to handle the new cartridge by re-barreling the rifle.

1889/96s were converted to 1896.11s buy replacing or modifying the following:

A new barrel was added.
Already fitted the the barrel were new front and rear sights.
A pistol grip was grafted onto the stock of the rifle.
The new rifles were also fitted with 6rd magazines, similar to the 1889/1900 pattern magazine, minus the reinforcing ridge, although the magazine did include a bolt hold-open feature for when the magazine was empty.
A new trigger-guard was fitted to accommodate the new magazine.

However, it took several years for all the 89/96s to be converted to 96/11 and 1911 Rifle production continued until 1918. Rather than leave large numbers of troops unarmed while the rifles were shipped off for conversion, they were re-issued Model 1889s. (Troops with Model 89/00 Short Rifles and 05 Carbines were re-issued 1893 Carbines).

Swiss soldiers are roughly classified into two categories, elite and reserve. Elites are under the age of 30, reserves are over the age of 30. Any trooper reaching reserve status, whom had a 89/96 during the changeover period was issued a Model 1889, and kept it for the remaining term of his service. Raw recruits, were issued Model 1889s as well at this point in time, and were later issued 96/11s or 1911s.
"
tikkathreebarrels

Re: For Sale: Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle, brass and dies PH

#2 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: For Sale: Schmidt-Rubin 1896/11 Rifle, brass and dies

#3 Post by TattooedGun »

If I had the slot and space in the cabinet, I'd have that away in a heartbeat! Lovely looking rifle!
Good luck with the sale!
ovenpaa

#4 Post by ovenpaa »

Lovely, that rifle looks to be in absolutely stunning condition which is more than can be said for the chair.....
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tikkathreebarrels

#5 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:Lovely, that rifle looks to be in absolutely stunning condition which is more than can be said for the chair.....
Bloomin' cheek!

Just goes to show what can happen to teak when you leave it outside 24/7.

Anyway, it's designed that way to show off the excellence of my toblerone rifle! sign01
saddler

#6 Post by saddler »

Has it got the original owner info inside?
Some of the original users of the Swiss rifles were known to remove the buttpad & place a piece of paper inside with their details on it

LOVELY looking rifle !
Wish I had a spare slot on my FAC - best of luck with the sale - I'm sure it'll not be with you for much longer....
tikkathreebarrels

#7 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

saddler wrote:Has it got the original owner info inside?
Some of the original users of the Swiss rifles were known to remove the buttpad & place a piece of paper inside with their details on it
Sadly not, at least not yet, no wait a minute... here it is, it's quite faded... Wil...m T.ll

signfunnypost
John25

#8 Post by John25 »

Put my name on the list of droolers!

Put some oil on the chair :lol:

Only the slot and the readies missing here (Swimbos' permission is also a factor to be considered)

Hope you get the price, it looks a cracker.
ovenpaa

#9 Post by ovenpaa »

Yeah, go on then, I have a Viking here going all doe eyed over it and telling me have no need for it, no room and no spare slot so that means she wants it. Are you anywhere near Barton Road Saturday?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

ovenpaa wrote:Yeah, go on then, I have a Viking here going all doe eyed over it and telling me have no need for it, no room and no spare slot so that means she wants it. Are you anywhere near Barton Road Saturday?
Dave you will both love it! 30" barrel and massive sight radius should see you all right to 1000+ from memory the sight is graduated to 2000m :good: