Hi! FAC on the way!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ovenpaa

Re: Hi! FAC on the way!

#11 Post by ovenpaa »

I have shot the TRG42 .338LM with the 5-25x56 PMII and the glass was certainly good although the reticle was quite coarse as it was a military rifle system.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Yogi GunKanobee

#12 Post by Yogi GunKanobee »

ovenpaa wrote:I have shot the TRG42 .338LM with the 5-25x56 PMII and the glass was certainly good although the reticle was quite coarse as it was a military rifle system.
Another mate has just bought a .338 Lapua with 5-25x56 PMII on it, plus some sighting system that I've not heard of before. He took it out for the first time last weekend. I've not see him since then, but it sounds like they had a great time, literally, quite a blast!
ovenpaa

#13 Post by ovenpaa »

I must admit I would certainly not turn down a reasonable .338LM if one was to appear, I might even be tempted to swap my Fortmeier for the right rifle, of course it would mean saving for an S&B to nail on the top... tongueout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Yogi GunKanobee

#14 Post by Yogi GunKanobee »

ovenpaa wrote:I must admit I would certainly not turn down a reasonable .338LM if one was to appear, I might even be tempted to swap my Fortmeier for the right rifle, of course it would mean saving for an S&B to nail on the top... tongueout
It's certainly not a cheap hobby! He is now saving up for a .50 cal BMG! It's good for me though as he is selling lots of stuff to raise cash. So far, Ive had 1500 cartridges, 1000 CCI mini mags (like hens teeth around here at the mo), 200 .223 brass cases, a .22 semi auto and other stuff that slips my mind! ;)

I'll go with them next time, sounds like a great day out.
raybrown53

#15 Post by raybrown53 »

Yogi GunKanobee wrote:Well, I’ve been lurking and learning for about six months now, and I thought now would be a good time to say “hello”!

I joined my friends club and completed the six month probationary period and so am now a full member. It can seem so unfair to have to wait six months before you are able to apply for you FAC, but actually I’ve learnt so much in that time that with hind sight, I can honestly say waiting can be a good thing.

I applied for my FAC exactly 3 weeks ago today. This morning I had my home interview with the FAO and a female trainee. I was actually quite shocked when they called me yesterday and asked if today would ok to come round! I was expecting to wait another couple of months.

They were here for about 30mins. The first question they asked me was, “why have you applied for a FAC?” I looked at him, I guess, in a rather blank manner, and replied, “because I want to buy some firearms”. “Good reply”, he says.

To cut a short story even shorter, he was happy with everything I asked for, including moderators. The only exception was that he knocked me down on the .22 ammo from 1000/1500 to 500/600, which was the same for all the other calibres, which I find strange. I can have 600 rounds of 308, but only 600 rounds of .22. Still, I’m not complaining. He said I can ask to have it increased at a later date. Then he asked me if I wanted anything else. I said, “Well, if there had been room, I would have put down for a 50mm muzzle loading pistol....”. “Fine, I’m happy to add that”, he said. So, I ended up for more than I asked!

I’m expecting my shiny new FAC by the end of next week, and of course I can start the ball rolling now!

Welcome nice to see another Wilts based person appear on here. Did you get Al as your FEO? He is a really nice chap very helpful indeed.
ovenpaa

#16 Post by ovenpaa »

The 338LM is a lot nicer to shoot than the 12,7x99/50BMG in my opinion however I know we have a few 50 shooters on here (Plus a few 50+ shooters :lol: )

Regardless you should shoot one given the chance.
/d

Shed Journal
Yogi GunKanobee

#17 Post by Yogi GunKanobee »

raybrown53 wrote:
Yogi GunKanobee wrote:Well, I’ve been lurking and learning for about six months now, and I thought now would be a good time to say “hello”!

I joined my friends club and completed the six month probationary period and so am now a full member. It can seem so unfair to have to wait six months before you are able to apply for you FAC, but actually I’ve learnt so much in that time that with hind sight, I can honestly say waiting can be a good thing.

I applied for my FAC exactly 3 weeks ago today. This morning I had my home interview with the FAO and a female trainee. I was actually quite shocked when they called me yesterday and asked if today would ok to come round! I was expecting to wait another couple of months.

They were here for about 30mins. The first question they asked me was, “why have you applied for a FAC?” I looked at him, I guess, in a rather blank manner, and replied, “because I want to buy some firearms”. “Good reply”, he says.

To cut a short story even shorter, he was happy with everything I asked for, including moderators. The only exception was that he knocked me down on the .22 ammo from 1000/1500 to 500/600, which was the same for all the other calibres, which I find strange. I can have 600 rounds of 308, but only 600 rounds of .22. Still, I’m not complaining. He said I can ask to have it increased at a later date. Then he asked me if I wanted anything else. I said, “Well, if there had been room, I would have put down for a 50mm muzzle loading pistol....”. “Fine, I’m happy to add that”, he said. So, I ended up for more than I asked!

I’m expecting my shiny new FAC by the end of next week, and of course I can start the ball rolling now!

Welcome nice to see another Wilts based person appear on here. Did you get Al as your FEO? He is a really nice chap very helpful indeed.
Hi Ray. The chap I saw was called Jason, and he brought a young lady with him who was learning the ropes. They both seemed perfectly ordinary, nice people. There was no grilling involved. It all seemed like a done deal, didn't even have a cuppa tea.
Yogi GunKanobee

#18 Post by Yogi GunKanobee »

ovenpaa wrote:The 338LM is a lot nicer to shoot than the 12,7x99/50BMG in my opinion however I know we have a few 50 shooters on here (Plus a few 50+ shooters :lol: )

Regardless you should shoot one given the chance.
Have no fear, I'll definitely get at least a few shots off on both the .50 BMG and the .338 next time! :)
LeighC

#19 Post by LeighC »

Hi Yogi, where in Wiltshire are you? Always on the lookout for more places to shoot, where is your club based?
LeighC

#20 Post by LeighC »

Just read page 2.... D'Oh. I guess if your FEO is Jason, you must be out Bradford on Avon way?