NRA probationer

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

@nd

Re: NRA probationer

#11 Post by @nd »

Off to Bisley again this weekend,this time for the service rifle mod. Looking forward to this one, i hope to get an Enfield as one of my first rifles when i finally apply for my FAC
Buzz
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & pistol club

#12 Post by Buzz »

Good on ya! My first rifle was a no5 and its still my favourite! Hope the weather is good for you and have fun :)
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

How much does it cost.
@nd

#14 Post by @nd »

Hi Alpha
As i remember £300 for the first 2 day course and then £150 per module after that. Contact the NRA they are very helpful.
Andrew
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

Hells teeth.

That is eye watering! :o

All the clubs requiring a Safe Shooting Certificate that I am a member of put their probationers through the course without cost, it is just part of the membership fee.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

All the clubs requiring a Safe Shooting Certificate that I am a member of put their probationers through the course without cost, it is just part of the membership fee.
Our club also puts probationers through with out any cost other than there club membership. ?

£300 plus £150 a module is a disgrace. You guys down South have obviously got to much money if you can afford to pay those ridicules prices.
Blu

#17 Post by Blu »

$35 a year over here for full NRA membership and for that they actually fight for ones gun rights and will mount a legal defence on behalf of members if the folks in authority try and mess with those rights. A couple of years back when renewing my concealed carry permit I had a vvanker of a county prosecutor who sat on the board try and give me the run around because I wasn't US born and despite being a US naturalized citizen, he wanted to do some further background checks which could have taken months. One call to the NRA and they soon put him right, got a phone call and picked up my permit the same day he got the call from the NRA. Went to the County Clerks office to get it and despite there being a bit of a line of other folks waiting to do business the County Clerk herself, when she saw me waiting, came out and gave me it so I didn't have to wait in line.

Now that's value for money right there.

Blu :twisted:
@nd

#18 Post by @nd »

Just finished the service rifle course,another excellent and enjoyable day.Defiantly going to get my self an Enfield (FAC allowing) and as for 'black rifles' fired a good few rounds through a straight pull .223/5.56, now i have a dilemma i had no thoughts towards this type of rifle but they are fun shooting i may just have been persuaded.
As for the the costs, yes i agree it isn't cheap but there are not always too many alternatives, i emailed a local club 13 months ago and never even got a reply so i emailed them again 8 months ago and this time got a reply that the had no places for a probationer and to email again in 2 months. 6 months ago i e mailed the club again and the NRA at the same time the NRA got straight back i still haven't herd any thing back form the club i e mailed for a forth time.One of the guys on the first course i did with the NRA was in the same boat and he was waiting about 18 months to hear from another southern club.i have now found another local club who were very good at getting back to me and after the security checks allowed me to join as a probationer.
karen

#19 Post by karen »

OK the reason it is so expensive is that the NRA have to pay their instructors and overheads. You only have to do the introductory safety course and one module then you can do the other probationary attendances with the Shooting Club which is much cheaper.

If you are doing a probationary course with another club it is MUCH cheaper as the instructors will be volunteers and there are little overheads.

Even when I worked at the NRA I would recommend people to try and do their probationary course with another club. Unfortunately some people can't do that.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#20 Post by dromia »

Can't the NRA at Bisley find volunteers to run the course for them thus reducing the cost?

What are the overhead costs other than booking the targets?

Usually how many people are there per course and how many students per target?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/