FAC moderator question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: FAC moderator question

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

As far as i'm concerned anybody who goes through the FAC procedure should be able to get whatever they want like an SGC, rather than what they 'need'. "Health and safety/extra hearing protection" is simply the 'good reason' the police accept. The OP asked the question and it was answered.
DVC
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#12 Post by Mattnall »

Argh!
This is going to come back and bite us in the ass. HOW'S THAT THEN?
Saddler

You are in the unfortunate position of having to use moderators for environmental reasons, that is unfortunate but as shooters we will adapt to all the restrictions thrown at us.

But on a range where there are no problems with the neighbours if you say you need a moderator to protect your hearing then I can see where it will eventually be mandatory for us to use them or shooting through barrels. In the end it will become a self imposed rule for us. You don't like having to do it at your club I'm sure, so why are shooters trying to champion the use of them when it's not required.

There are instances where they can be useful or even necessary, but on the majority of ranges they are not a necessity so please let's not make them such.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
TJC

#13 Post by TJC »

You can get them to help with recoil management.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

Mattnall wrote:

Argh!
This is going to come back and bite us in the ass. HOW'S THAT THEN?
Saddler

You are in the unfortunate position of having to use moderators for environmental reasons, that is unfortunate but as shooters we will adapt to all the restrictions thrown at us.

But on a range where there are no problems with the neighbours if you say you need a moderator to protect your hearing then I can see where it will eventually be mandatory for us to use them or shooting through barrels. In the end it will become a self imposed rule for us. You don't like having to do it at your club I'm sure, so why are shooters trying to champion the use of them when it's not required.

There are instances where they can be useful or even necessary, but on the majority of ranges they are not a necessity so please let's not make them such.
Hmmm, you seem to be of the opinion that the police actually WANT you to have them, in my (limited) experience, they absolutely do not. Most forces FLD's still get the majority of their training through Hollywood and regard them as an assassins 'silencer' :roll:

I have mine because they make shooting more pleasant, both for me and the people next to me. The muzzle brake/compensator that used to be on my .308 was particularly offensive to anyone within 3-4 metres either side of me :oops:
DVC
saddler

#15 Post by saddler »

When I first got my FAC with the then L&B force, the FEO went through my Form 101 & told me I'd missed off the sound moderators.

I thought he meant my .22 ones. Nope, he said to put down for a couple of full-bore mods too; so I did.

Full-bore mods have never been an issue with the Edinburgh office (unlike S.1 shotguns, S.1 shotgun ammo, Win 97 shotguns being deemed as S.5, not recognising the LANTRA/BDS H.A.D. course, etc.)
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#16 Post by Mattnall »

Blackstuff wrote: I have mine because they make shooting more pleasant, both for me and the people next to me.
So what was your "reason" for possession? It looks like you have it not because of H&S, but because you prefer it and are more considerate to other range users.
If you used H&S then every rifle on the range would be a problem for you, but you seem to indicate that it is your rifle that is the problem (muzzle blast, etc) and have dealt with it. I have no issue with this.

I fully agree with you and we should be able to have what we want, but all this H&S bs is going to get nasty if they make us have one for every rifle on the range if they are to be fully effective (in an H&S capacity). Most rifles don't need one on a gallery range to protect the hearing, that is the job of the ear defenders and plugs (which are already mandatory on all ranges), if it is to protect the environment and not to p*** off the neighbours, then they are needed, but otherwise if we insist on them to solve a problem we have made up ourselves, just because we can, I can see it getting becoming a regulation.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.