T/R Barrel cleaning.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Maggot

Re: T/R Barrel cleaning.

#11 Post by Maggot »

Jabberwocky413 wrote:Cheers fellas, plenty of good advice there to mull over. I was looking at the HPS site and their cleaning advice, has anyone used their Wipe out/patch out product on the following link ?

http://www.hps-tr.com/products/gun-cleaning/

Thanks again.
Yes, it works but not (in my experience) as well as C2R and can be bloody messy.

A bottle of C2R goes on....and on....and on.
TJC

#12 Post by TJC »

I don't clean my barrel until accuracy degrades and I don't over-clean it when I do. Most way over-clean and whilst I get the therapeutic benefit to the owner, it isn't necessary.
bowser

#13 Post by bowser »

Watcher wrote:I'm no expert but I use Sweets copper solvent as per the bottle. Then I dry off and then wipe with Ballistol which I leave in until my next shoot. I use a nylon brush for preference over a bronze one. I clean every time I shoot. I would avoid a Bore Snake for fear of damaging the muzzle crown.

Just a question as I am interested, why would a cotton and a small ammount of bronze brush damage the crown on a stainless steel barrel, I always pull through from the breach, but I can imagine a circumstance where pulling a bore snake through will do any damage not already done by the rounds fired through it? I have seen damage by using a rod from the muzzle toward the breach but only because the moron used the muzzle as a stop to indicate when he should pull it back out and seemed to take great delight in seeing how hard he could ram it into the muzzel, but a bore snake?? I wont beleive it until I actualy see some evidence, IMHO its one of them urban myths.
Jabberwocky413

#14 Post by Jabberwocky413 »

Bowser, I think Watcher is saying that when you pull through the bore snake from the muzzle the cord and snake has to be perfectly in line with the barrel as it exits, if it isn't then they will wear against the crown and may damage it. There may be no evidence but erring on the side of prevention. I have been very careful with mine to preserve the crown.
bowser

#15 Post by bowser »

first off I shouldn have been brining a 2 year old thread back to life !! doh!!!

However I understand what your saying, and caution etc, but there has to be a limit, and the number of times a rifle will be cleaned in its life time, a cotton bore snake will NOT do any damage to a rifle barrel (or Crown).
tinhat3

#16 Post by tinhat3 »

I have only just started shooting Lever action in .38/357M but I have been shooting full bore (308 TR with stainless barrell) and 303 No4 Mk2 for 4 years, and shotguns for over 20.
Started off using Youngs 303 then No9, now using Wipe out.
I always run a nylon brush through first with some Wipe out liquid on it, and then patch it out, just to get rid of the larger stuff
then I use Wipe Out foam in the can, put the can on the foresight end of the barrel, squeeze button for about 1.5 seconds and check the foam has got all the way to the chamber
Although the barrels looked clean before I started using WO, the first time with WO it took three cleanings to get the patches to run clean on the 308 and 8 with the LE (1947 original barrel)
WO is NOT good on stocks so you need to make sure you have the rifle upside down on a decent stand BEFORE you put the foam in, then blank off the chamber with a cotton cloth. It will strip the linseed oil straight off the LE stock and forend
I usually clean at home, its easier and I can leave the rifle with WO in the barrel in a known safe place.
Usually 1/2 hour in the barrel, patch out till clean (Blue/green indicates copper, black just rubbish!!!

If I'm using club reloads in the LE then its usually takes about an hour standing with foam in the barrel, and sometimes two applications to get the crap out.
No idea what powder they use but its not nice. If I use HPS new stock , not a problem 30 mins all done
Then you Just need to put some WO on a patch and run it through the barrel to finish off.
Good cleaning info on HPS website.

If you have a lot of rifles to clean, then it does save some time, as you can put the foam in and carry on with something else,
Anyone identify a supplier of C2R in Preston area as I am quite willing to give it a go, especially from all the good reports.
TH3
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#17 Post by johngarnett »

Try the Shooting Shed for all your shootie needs!!

JohnG :cornwall:
Gaz

#18 Post by Gaz »

bowser wrote:first off I shouldn have been brining a 2 year old thread back to life !! doh!!!

However I understand what your saying, and caution etc, but there has to be a limit, and the number of times a rifle will be cleaned in its life time, a cotton bore snake will NOT do any damage to a rifle barrel (or Crown).
I used to think this based on the dire warnings about cord wear in the old army pamphets on the Lee Enfield. I only realised the difference between modern soft cotton boresnakes and the rough old cord pullthroughs, which I could fully believe would wear away steel with prolonged use, when I finally got my hands on one!