Steel Rabbit Silouette Air/22lr Rifle Target (6mm Thick)

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
cmmg warrior

Re: Steel Rabbit Silouette Air/22lr Rifle Target (6mm Thick)

#11 Post by cmmg warrior »

Oh God, The "state the bloomin' obvious" gang are out in force. I should have specified that the 10 metres was for air rifle, we often shoot steel at 25 metres with rim fire at our ranges. We've never had a problem.

Safetyfirst, If you'd closely studied the remnants of a .22 bullet after it has struck steel you'd see that there is nothing left but dust and a flat lead disc.
Oh and please don't spread totally untrue information and imply that a .22lr bullet bounces off steel in one piece. That is a ridiculous thing to suggest. I have been shooting steel plates for many years and I can assure you the bullet is totally destroyed.

What do you think the backstop at most ranges is made of. I've cleaned a few of those out. Never seen a whole .22 bullet.
safetyfirst

Steel Rabbit Silouette Air/22lr Rifle Target (6mm Thick)

#12 Post by safetyfirst »

We shoot steel at 25 too, no problem, though we also use a canopy to catch the shrapnel.

It might be obvious to you but is not to a lot of people, you should have stated that yes, when selling steel targets you should state safety information very clearly.

I've seen plenty of .22 ammunition that's hit steel, I shoot steel swinger trees regularly and there's often a few lumps of lead on the ground under the tree, how whole they are I've no idea but I've had bits come winging back past my face more than once.

I've also seen the state the canopy over our clubs steel knockdown targets gets into, which isn't pretty.

What's left after impact, how flat it is, what speed it travels at, which direction is goes in, all of that depends greatly on distance, muzzle velocity, type of bullet, nature of target (does it knock down, flap back, is it mounted on springs, what angle is the target face at) so there really is a lot to consider.

Static steel targets with an unknown angle thanks to ad-hoc driving into the ground with a size nine welly certainly won't exhibit a predictable effect on an incoming bullet.

The best ones I saw were mounted on a pair of springs at the top of the steel that absorbed energy whilst deflecting the bullet downwards.

I've been questing after safe rimfire steel targets for ages, what most people tell me is that under 25m away, they just aren't that safe.

I don't think anything I've said here will affect sales of your lovely steel rabbits, which look great.

Sorry if I made you angry but your advert suggested shooting steel at 10m with rimfire, which isn't safe.

So I said something.
cmmg warrior

#13 Post by cmmg warrior »

The fragmentation of a .22lr bullet on steel is total. For you to suggest a .22lr bullet "bounces off" steel is pure fantasy.
Attachments
IMG_3347 (480x640).jpg
safetyfirst

#14 Post by safetyfirst »

We'll have to agree to disagree then, I've seen enough directly contradictory evidence.

If you can shoot 100 rounds of rimfire at your steel and not once hear that telltale wheeeeeeeeeeee then it must be magic.
qws

#15 Post by qws »

I am looking for inexpensive steel targets for CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) So if different designs were available and either hung or set on poppers this would be great.

Ref Safetyfirst comments - We shoot steels for CAS with Pistols .44 from 7-10 Yards, 12G Shotgun 8-16yards Rifle 13-50 yards (sorry American SASS Rules)

For modern practical at our local club minimum 5m on steels but normally more like 7-10m this is for any pistol calibre rifle or pistol. Care is taken how the course is setup some targets how wooden housings etc. So safety is the priority.

And yes shooting steels under a timed session is fun and done correctly is safe.
safetyfirst

#16 Post by safetyfirst »

OMG. If one more person fails to see that my concerns are .22 rimfire specific I'm going to resign from something.
safetyfirst

#17 Post by safetyfirst »

Just for the record, I've shot plenty of steel fast and furious, shooting and moving, running and kneeling with a loaded rifle, very safely, I'm not a safety nut despite the username and I'd shoot pistol Calibre rifles and pistols at close steel all day quite happily.

But i won't shoot .22 at a steel target driven into the ground from 10m for anyone's money because it's just not safe.

So you lot go for it but don't come running to me with bits of copper washed lead in your legs. ;)
cmmg warrior

#18 Post by cmmg warrior »

safetyfirst wrote:Just for the record, I've shot plenty of steel fast and furious, shooting and moving, running and kneeling with a loaded rifle, very safely, I'm not a safety nut despite the username and I'd shoot pistol Calibre rifles and pistols at close steel all day quite happily.

But i won't shoot .22 at a steel target driven into the ground from 10m for anyone's money because it's just not safe.

So you lot go for it but don't come running to me with bits of copper washed lead in your legs. ;)

It's ok safetyfirst we won't, we wear long trousers when we're shooting. Perhaps you should too.. kukkuk
safetyfirst

#19 Post by safetyfirst »

I wear just a mankini.
Christel
Site Admin

#20 Post by Christel »

safetyfirst wrote:I wear just a mankini.
ttiuwp

You knew someone would post that lol