Lots of Beginner Questions...

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

HALODIN

Re: Lots of Beginner Questions...

#11 Post by HALODIN »

Sorry for the typo, not sure why I wrote case... sign01

Yes I found that out last night when speaking with John from ORPC, long barrel pistols are something I need to look in to. sign92

Do you have any long barrel pistol recommendations?
christel wrote:Halodin,

Gun cases is what you transport your rifle in, either that or a slip/drag bag. Gun cabinet is what you store your rifle in.

just to clarify, as you yourself said, you can certainly have a .22 rimfire semi automatic rifle, you can also have a .22 rimfire semi automatic pistol however the latter need a long barrel. Nothing bigger caliber wise.
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

No recommendations because I am not into that sort of thing (making it sound sleazy :lol: )

However this is one...

http://www.valmontfirearms.co.uk/LBPistols.html
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Just a bit of advice which I think holds true for all new shooters.

Don't rush at your first purchases especially when your FAC first comes through as you'll be like wean in a sweety shop.

Spend your probationary period trying out as many disciplines and firearms as possible so that when the time comes you know what type of shooting or collecting you want to do and that will inform the type of gun that you purchase. This will also be determined to some extent as to where you will be shooting as well.

A lot of second hand dealer stock comes from new shooters who dive in and buy by look and them find a few months into the game that what they have bought is not appropriate for what they wish to do. This is great for dealers and people who buy these guns but it is at the expense of the tyro shooter who moves them on, usually at a loss and without having put many rounds through them.

An expensive gun is one that doesn't get shot or give you pleasure, it is always better to have a few guns that get used than a plethora of guns that never see the light of day.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
HALODIN

#14 Post by HALODIN »

Blimey... :grin:

Thanks for the link.
christel wrote:No recommendations because I am not into that sort of thing (making it sound sleazy :lol: )

However this is one...

http://www.valmontfirearms.co.uk/LBPistols.html
HALODIN

#15 Post by HALODIN »

Sounds like good advice. Having collected deacts for many years, I'm used to having guns around just because I like the look of them or because they're historically important, but I take your point, I'll take my time with it.

Thanks for your pearls of wisdom. :good:
dromia wrote:Just a bit of advice which I think holds true for all new shooters.

Don't rush at your first purchases especially when your FAC first comes through as you'll be like wean in a sweety shop.

Spend your probationary period trying out as many disciplines and firearms as possible so that when the time comes you know what type of shooting or collecting you want to do and that will inform the type of gun that you purchase. This will also be determined to some extent as to where you will be shooting as well.

A lot of second hand dealer stock comes from new shooters who dive in and buy by look and them find a few months into the game that what they have bought is not appropriate for what they wish to do. This is great for dealers and people who buy these guns but it is at the expense of the tyro shooter who moves them on, usually at a loss and without having put many rounds through them.

An expensive gun is one that doesn't get shot or give you pleasure, it is always better to have a few guns that get used than a plethora of guns that never see the light of day.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#16 Post by IainWR »

Hi

Can I suggest that you type:

Firearms Law Guidance to the Police

into any decent search engine. The top link will almost certainly be to the Home Office .pdf version of this 180-page A4 book, which tells the police how to run firearms licensing. It contains the answers to nearly everything you need to know, and includes links to places where the really unusual questions can be answered.

It's also worth reading at least Sections 1-5 and Section 11 of the Firearms Act 1968 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27 ) and Section 15 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/contents) with some care. Hard going I know, but worth the effort in the long run. The online versions allow you to switch between the law as originally enacted and the law as currently amended with one click.

Iain
HALODIN

#17 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the info Iain.

I'm glad the "Firearms Law Guidance to the Police" .pdf was only 144 pages... :grin: I read it skipping the odd irrelevant section on museums, fees or taking a gun to Northern Ireland. I have to say my head's spinning now, but I think most of it sunk in. Although I'm still unsure what is and isn't allowed in terms of pistols. Some of the information seemed contradictory, but perhaps I'll have another read when I've got a clear head.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary

Artillery Lugers have 20cm barrels, but the overall length is greater than 60cm, so would you be allowed one with the stock permanently fixed?
[F11(aba)any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30 centimetres in length or is less than 60 centimetres in length overall, other than an air weapon, F12. . . a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus;]
ref: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27

IainWR wrote:Hi

Can I suggest that you type:

Firearms Law Guidance to the Police

into any decent search engine. The top link will almost certainly be to the Home Office .pdf version of this 180-page A4 book, which tells the police how to run firearms licensing. It contains the answers to nearly everything you need to know, and includes links to places where the really unusual questions can be answered.

It's also worth reading at least Sections 1-5 and Section 11 of the Firearms Act 1968 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27 ) and Section 15 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/contents) with some care. Hard going I know, but worth the effort in the long run. The online versions allow you to switch between the law as originally enacted and the law as currently amended with one click.

Iain
ovenpaa

#18 Post by ovenpaa »

Nice idea with the Luger however is a semi automatic so not for everyday range use however dependant on its age and provenance you may get away with it as a Heritage section 7.3? pistol for use at authorised ranges such as Bisley, down side is you would not be able to take it home...

Heritage is not an area I know anything about so hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm/deny this.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HALODIN

#19 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the turbo fast reply. I guess I'm pushing the boat a little far out here, assuming it's possible, I was wondering if the semi-auto fire was inhibited (straight pull), whether you'd get away with it. Having to store it at the end of a motorway in an armoury seems a little counter productive, I'd never use it.
Dombo63

#20 Post by Dombo63 »

My understanding is that the straight-pulls have to have been originally manufactured as such. ie you can't just buy yourself a surplus M16, SLR or AK, disable the gas blowback and weld a bolt to the side to work the action.
The UK laws are pretty strict and "getting away with it" is probably best forgotten about.