Page 3 of 3

Re: Referee question

by Gaz
Yogi GunKanobee wrote:
rox wrote:
Yogi GunKanobee wrote:FWIW - I recently applied for, and was granted a FAC. Both of my referees were club members, both of which I have known for about 10 years.
I don't suppose the police specifically check the club membership status of every referee, so in the context of what is the correct interpretation of the rules on referees I don't think this means anything either way.

..
Well, on the Reference form, part B, question 14, it asks "are you are an official of an approved target shooting club". Both of my friends are officials. When I filled out the application, re read the requirements over and over again, just to make sure. For an initial grant, I couldn't see anywhere where it says that a referee / referees should not be members of a club, only on a renewal, where one has to be a club official, and one not a member of any club. But then I'm just a noob, maybe I was lucky.
That's my reading - for a grant, note 4 doesn't apply. It does specifically begin "in respect of a renewal..."

Re: Referee question

by Demonic69
The condition is at the start of the paragraph, hence the use, and the whole point, of paragraphs.
Unless the the sentences were itemised or bullet points then the conditions and topic of the paragraph are implied.
Following your logic it should say either:

4 If the application is made in respect of a renewal of a firearm certificate for a firearm for target shooting then one referee must be a club official of the approved club named on the applicants firearm certificate. Dealers may act as referees in these circumstances. If the application is made in respect of a renewal the second referee must not be a member of any target shooting club. For the grant of a certificate it is not essential that one of the referees is a club official.

Or

> If the application is made in respect of a renewal of a firearm certificate for a firearm for target shooting then one referee must be a club official of the approved club named on the applicants firearm certificate. Dealers may act as referees in these circumstances.
> The second referee must not be a member of any target shooting club

Though these would generally not be noted specifically.