Giving up shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dellboy
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Giving up shooting

#21 Post by Dellboy »

Tallguy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:22 pm
Dellboy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:23 pm
Graham M wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:21 pm Don't take them to a dealer. Friend of mine has just lost his wife and has decided to give up shooting and sell all his stuff.
Took 6 rifles worth between £600 - £1000 each to a dealer and was offered £500 for the lot.
Why on earth he didn't tell him to get stuffed is beyond me, as he could have taken them to the club and asked for a decent price each, and maybe only sold 2 of them, for more money than he got from that dealer.
I know dealers have to make money, but he could have been a little more subtle when offering a pittance for some nice rifles.
The trouble is sales of guns has dropped by 30% at least .
I have had 5 calls in the last4 weeks with guns fron people giving up .
Auction houses are rammed and a high percentage is going abroad .
The values are just not there .
4 working shotguns cut up last week probably the same next week .
I know of one RFD who last year was sitting on £1M of new and used stock. They are still in business and long May they continue to do so.
Well he is either lucky rich or foolish
As an example i wanted 2 shotguns from the importer was told 4 was a minimum order i offered to buy 4 but if the new model came out they refubded any unsold to the discounted price .Obviously they declined 3 months later new model and 35% taken off the trade price of old stock . Margin was less than 15% to begin with .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#22 Post by Graham M »

A lot of this uncertainty is due to the scaremongering about using steel through old side-by-side guns. These guns are now considered worthless and not even worth scrapping.
I have a couple of lovely old shotguns that I couldn't sell for anything more than £20 even though they were over £400 when I bought them S/H many years ago.
Thanks BASC
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#23 Post by Mike95 »

Sorry to hear about Dodgy Rog.. he was very good to me for various items and he visited me a couple of times, with his wife, on his way down to Bisley.. he did provide me with a load of used 7x57 cartridge cases when I then bought a 7x57 rifle.. my best wishes to Dodgy...

Mike95