AK47

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
breacher

Re: AK47

#41 Post by breacher »

Regarding accuracy.....

The US Army accuracy requirement ( there is even more fierce debate on that subject ! ) seems to average 3 moa from my research. I read one US Army pamphlet which asks for a minimum 25mm at 25m when zeroing ? Thats 4 moa ! But lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say 3 moa.

An AKM is expected to give 4 moa at the factory test.

So, not a huge difference in accuracy there.

I think however, that the inaccuracy myth ( I am not saying they are super accurate - just that they are NOT wildly inaccurate ) comes for the rifles and ammunition encountered - ie, frequently very poor milsurp ( even for our standards ) and even worse rifle cleaning regimes.

Another factor to bear in mind is the sighting - the majority of assault rifles have optics of some sort now. This has raised accuracy expectations and consequently a soldier used to a M4 with an ACOG would find the AK on iron sights poor on accuracy !

The fact remains though that debate is polarized - much like a lot of other "brand loyalty" debates. The AK seems to be a love it or hate it rifle. Respect it for what it is or ridicule it sort of rifle !

Much has been written about warfare. I have yet to encounter an author talking about a battle or war lost because one side had the AK and it was inaccurate.

On the subject of "spray and pray" - what was the expected group size of Lee Enfield .303s ? Or M1 Garands ? Or Mauser 98Ks ? Similar to the AK and its 4 moa. I have never heard them described as inaccurate.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#42 Post by bnz41 »

safetyfirst wrote:Sob. All I wanted was an AK47 for Christmas, now I'm heading towards a thread lock. (Weeps into box full of platoon DVD's)
Have you checked out the one sconie has for sale his last post still available page 3
froggy

#43 Post by froggy »

Good points Breacher especially considering the average engagement distances of modern warfare...

All I wanted was an AK47 for Christmas

As you can see from this debate, it all comes down to personal tastes & a bit of "East vs West" banter ;)
Think about what exactly you want to do, the volume of shooting you want to do, your budget & pick-up the right tool for your intended job. I am not a very serious shooter so for me, the look & the history of the rifle are also factors that matter.
I own an AR "M4" SDI in 223 & a short Serbian AK in 7,62x39, both SA, both champions of their respective camps. I love both of them. With the AR, I normally shoot 200/300 rounds on a French range limited to 200 meters, so its Wolf cheap ammo for me. The AK, in Czech Rep, I don't even count. The 223 sticks & feels a bit anaemic while the 7,62 is more "lively" and more fun. Budget 223 & mil-surp 7.62x39 will give u similar accuracy up to 200 meters. Not to say it is the better rifle, but for what I do with it, pound for pound the AK gives me a bigger smile.
So, if you want to shoot med distances, if a good day is minimum 200 empty rounds & you don't want to re-mortgage, GA and get yourself a 7,62x39 AK or IMO even better a Vz58 and have a happy 2015 X'Mas :good:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#44 Post by dromia »

As this is a wanted section I don't think this "discussion" helps the OPs search so why not take it to a more appropriate section out of courtesy to the OP?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
froggy

#45 Post by froggy »

Correct . I know you were asking about the AK but in case the Vz58 is available here
http://www.caledonianclassicarms.com/cs ... ion-rifle/

Sadly they seem to only come with those coloured plastic furniture however a much nicer original bakelite type set is easily available for very little money.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#46 Post by snayperskaya »

And I'll say no more on the subject as I haven't seen Charlie (not counting the bloke called Charlie I used to work with) and I haven't seen a rice paddy.......at least not a Vietnamese one.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
breacher

#47 Post by breacher »

snayperskaya wrote:And I'll say no more on the subject as I haven't seen Charlie (not counting the bloke called Charlie I used to work with) and I haven't seen a rice paddy.......at least not a Vietnamese one.

Thats racist !!!

waveirishflag
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#48 Post by snayperskaya »

breacher wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:And I'll say no more on the subject as I haven't seen Charlie (not counting the bloke called Charlie I used to work with) and I haven't seen a rice paddy.......at least not a Vietnamese one.

Thats racist !!!

waveirishflag
Thinking about it I went to school with a lad called Patrick Fields.....so he was actually Paddy Fields!!!.We missed out on an opportunity there!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
saddler

#49 Post by saddler »

New updated pages about the AK47 history....

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/AK-47
polemass

#50 Post by polemass »

Saddler,be nice or "project EM2 .22wmr" will never start,L85 is half way now... :p