Police confiscated my 150 year old muzzle loader.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Gaz

Re: Police confiscated my 150 year old muzzle loader.

#51 Post by Gaz »

Spiggy wrote:When the police confiscated my antique muzzle loader they also took two air rifles and a genuinely deactivated WW2 pistol for which I have all the correct deactivation documentation. None of these particular items have caused the police to charge me with any offences. I therefore have asked for them to be returned to me. The police have totally ignored all of my requests to this effect and I fully expect that they will " disappear " and I will never get them back. I have asked the PCC to intervene on my behalf but they, too, have been ignored. In the meantime the main police station in Bedford has been condemned as being "unsafe " and has been closed down with all police business being transferred elsewhere. If that doesn't provide an excuse for my legally held weapons to "disappear" then I'll be a monkeys uncle.

When the Metropolitan police senior officers and officials conspire and lie in order to bring down a Cabinet Minister, what chance do poor sods like myself stand of being treated lawfully ?
"...dishonestly appropriates property with the intent to permanently deprive" pops into mind here if they're now ignoring your requests to have your lawfully held property returned to you. Do you have the identities of the police who took these items - if so, file a criminal complaint of theft.
bigfathairybiker

#52 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Ooo... Blackfriars Police station... brings back a few memories of old...

Mark
Spiggy

#53 Post by Spiggy »

IainWR wrote:Maybe.

Age alone does not make a firearm an antique. If you can post details of exactly what it is (photos also help) an answer may be straightforward. As you say it's 150 years old, I suspect you have evidence of that - does the gun have maker's name and date of manufacture inscribed on it?

If it came to a charge, the evidence of what's written on the gun would become available, and that would settle the issue one way or another.

Unfortunately, contravention of S1 or S2 Firearms Act 1968 is an absolute offence ie it is not a defence that you didn't know the item fell under control of those (though ignorance may be mitigation).

Iain

I have now been formally charged with owning this gun without a permit, although I have yet to receive a copy of the CPS's indictment. Apparently, though, the indictment does contain details of inscriptions on the gun so I will post them here when I have them.
Spiggy

#54 Post by Spiggy »

Gaz wrote:
Spiggy wrote:When the police confiscated my antique muzzle loader they also took two air rifles and a genuinely deactivated WW2 pistol for which I have all the correct deactivation documentation. None of these particular items have caused the police to charge me with any offences. I therefore have asked for them to be returned to me. The police have totally ignored all of my requests to this effect and I fully expect that they will " disappear " and I will never get them back. I have asked the PCC to intervene on my behalf but they, too, have been ignored. In the meantime the main police station in Bedford has been condemned as being "unsafe " and has been closed down with all police business being transferred elsewhere. If that doesn't provide an excuse for my legally held weapons to "disappear" then I'll be a monkeys uncle.

When the Metropolitan police senior officers and officials conspire and lie in order to bring down a Cabinet Minister, what chance do poor sods like myself stand of being treated lawfully ?
"...dishonestly appropriates property with the intent to permanently deprive" pops into mind here if they're now ignoring your requests to have your lawfully held property returned to you. Do you have the identities of the police who took these items - if so, file a criminal complaint of theft.
The police have now agreed to release some items seized as evidence although I have only been given
the Exhibit numbers and not details of what they actually are. Given that in two instances police paperwork show contradictory numbers for items I haven't a clue as to what I'll actually get back.

I don't have details of the officers who seized my guns, but I expect that police records should detail these. I will file a theft complaint if I am not given the legally held guns back.

Thanks for your kind help.
M99

#55 Post by M99 »

What does it say on the charge sheet? Words, including act and section please.
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#56 Post by bobbob »

This might be of interest and give you some hope of not being locked up fingerscrossed http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1123084 ... aving_gun/
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#57 Post by kennyc »

bobbob wrote:This might be of interest and give you some hope of not being locked up fingerscrossed http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1123084 ... aving_gun/
really? no one has ever escaped a custodial sentence for possessing a firearm without a licence?
zanes

#58 Post by zanes »

kennyc wrote:
bobbob wrote:This might be of interest and give you some hope of not being locked up fingerscrossed http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1123084 ... aving_gun/
really? no one has ever escaped a custodial sentence for possessing a firearm without a licence?
"Officers raided her house and found the gun, along with ammunition"

Sounds legit.
bigfathairybiker

#59 Post by bigfathairybiker »

So... anything happen with this?
Spiggy still about and not locked up?

Mark
M99

#60 Post by M99 »

Well he has not visited the site since 22 July 2014!!