Live L1A1 Straight pull rifle

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
HALODIN

Re: Live L1A1 Straight pull rifle

#51 Post by HALODIN »

It's funny how some cause problems and others don't. I wonder if it's down to case length. Does yours have a PACXXXX serial number?
huntervixen

#52 Post by huntervixen »

That sir is no Johnny foreigner Fal, from the front:

Three slot inch pattern FE
Inch pattern gas block
Inch pattern Handguards
Inch pattern receiver
Inch pattern TMH
Inch Pattern trigger group and pistol grip
Inch pattern rear folding sight
Inch pattern butt

So what's Imbel on this rifle? any????

Admittedly, someone has cut the barrel down for reasons best known to themselves, must be planning a bank job!
HALODIN

#53 Post by HALODIN »

They're no good in my PACXXXX Imbel FAL. As soon as the chamber gets hot, they start to stick. Hornady .308 works best in my experience.
bnz41 wrote:Try GGG 7.62 Nato ammo should also work well.
huntervixen

#54 Post by huntervixen »

Wow, they went to quite some lengths and expense to convert it, fitting an inch pattern gas block to a fal is no easy job, plus the replacement of the metric TMH with an inch pattern example, interchangeable parts, but I hope you have the original too?

I think the inch FE is a different thread, but I might be wrong, love to see some close up pics?
HALODIN

#55 Post by HALODIN »

Is that your rifle in the picture or a stock photo from gun trader?
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#56 Post by bnz41 »

Laverda981 wrote:
huntervixen wrote:That sir is no Johnny foreigner Fal, from the front:

Three slot inch pattern FE
Inch pattern gas block
Inch pattern Handguards
Inch pattern receiver
Inch pattern TMH
Inch Pattern trigger group and pistol grip
Inch pattern rear folding sight
Inch pattern butt

So what's Imbel on this rifle? any????

Admittedly, someone has cut the barrel down for reasons best known to themselves, must be planning a bank job!
Well, it says Imbel on the receiver... I'm aware that it's been L1A1'ised by a previous owner.
The barrel is a Congo, I believe. Or that's what the seller described it as. I would prefer a longer one (wouldn't we all?).
I have a Congo Fal and the barrel is longer than the one pictured I may suggest it's a Wasp barrel which was the stortest of the Imbel Fal rifles imported into the UK by Sabre Defence. Then someone has re threaded it for a L1A1 flash hider making it even shorter.

John,
Fal muzzle threads are left handed.
bnz41

#57 Post by bnz41 »

Could it be a Imbel lower (metric) as it says Imbel but the remaining parts are (inch) L1A1 upper/barrel/gas block/handguards/stock etc

A folding L1A1 cocking handle do not fit well if at all on a Fal rifle I know have tried, so this makes me think it's a inch upper with an standard folding L1 cocking handle.

TMH = (trigger mechanism housing)
huntervixen

#58 Post by huntervixen »

Laverda981 wrote:
huntervixen wrote:Wow, they went to quite some lengths and expense to convert it, fitting an inch pattern gas block to a fal is no easy job, plus the replacement of the metric TMH with an inch pattern example, interchangeable parts, but I hope you have the original too?

I think the inch FE is a different thread, but I might be wrong, love to see some close up pics?
Hmm, I will have to have a closer look myself when I get home.
I can take some close-up pictures at weekend
As bought I was told it was a Sabre Defence Imbel.
What's a TMH, please? You've gone past the extents of my (very) limited knowledge.
I don't know the difference between metric & inch gas blocks or the extent to which this rifle's been modified.
The gas plug has no 'numbers' on it, as I understand it metric ones don't, inch ones do?
I don't have any original parts apart from a stack of metric mags it came with.
Hi mate,

TMH, Trigger Mount Housing, UK speak for lower receiver, these are different to the original metric design and have a tang to the lower rear, the inch butt in turn has a cut out to fit this, the pistol grip is screwed on from the inside on a inch pattern and from the outside on an metric

If you Google inch and metric gas blocks you will see they are very different beasts, different gas plugs too.

Many, many differences, google fal and L1A1 pictures, then contrast and compare against your rifle.

Looking forward to the pics, it has me intrigued!
HALODIN

#59 Post by HALODIN »

OK thanks. As everyone else has said, it doesn't look like a FAL. If it has the PAC serial number then the rifle was issued as a FAL by Sabre Defense.
Laverda981 wrote:It's the only photo I have at the moment. It is the one the seller used of the rifle I bought.
bnz41

#60 Post by bnz41 »

Hi,

I'm only going what what I see in your picture, so sorry if your getting confused not my intension.

The barrel would be cut down at the muzzle end, the bayonet lug is part of the flash hider/eliminator (FH/FE) and this does screw onto the barrel right hand thread, then a pin goes through it into a slot cut into the under side of the barrel to stop it coming loose.
Last edited by bnz41 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.