Lemi shine

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
R4CER

Lemi shine

#1 Post by R4CER »

Ok I have a mate who has offered to get me a case of Lemi Sine from the US it would be £10 a bottle plus post ? are any of you interested any????
Alpha1

Re: Lemi shine

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

What's Lemi sine.
phaedra1106

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Only £10 a bottle? really? lol

Someone is taking the biscuit, they're only £2.20 in Walmart.

I still have 2 I could let you have for £5 each including free shipping???.

Alpha1, it's a dishwasher water softener used by some for wet tumble cleaning of cases (stainless steel pin tumblers).

You really don't need it, if you have hard water just drop in 1/2 a teaspoon of citric acid crystals, it's around £2 to £5 a kilo from Ebay etc. depending how much you buy.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
R4CER

#4 Post by R4CER »

phaedra1106 wrote:Only £10 a bottle? really? lol

Someone is taking the biscuit, they're only £2.20 in Walmart.

I still have 2 I could let you have for £5 each including free shipping???.

Alpha1, it's a dishwasher water softener used by some for wet tumble cleaning of cases (stainless steel pin tumblers).

You really don't need it, if you have hard water just drop in 1/2 a teaspoon of citric acid crystals, it's around £2 to £5 a kilo from Ebay etc. depending how much you buy.

For some strange reason here in the UK its almost impossible to get it, it will cost me 8.75 for each bottle I thought 1.25 per bot was very kind of me to bother to get it, wrap it and send ? maybe I won't bother , but yes for £10 please send me both bottles ???? I wait your pm :flag13:
rox

#5 Post by rox »

phaedra1106 wrote:Alpha1, it's a dishwasher water softener used by some for wet tumble cleaning of cases (stainless steel pin tumblers).
It's fairly well established that the active ingredient in Lemi Shine is Citric acid, and I've always made my own solution for stainless cleaning with regular washing-up detergent plus citric acid and rinse aid (costing pennies). I've now switched to a car shampoo instead of washing-up detergent (still with citric acid and rinse aid), the idea being to leave a film of wax/polymer on the brass to prevent tarnishing for longer term storage. The brass is certainly shinier (as good as when polished with treated dry media) but I'll have to wait a while to know the tarnishing results. I think the citric does more than just help with water hardness - it helps to break-down the carbon gunk and passivate the brass surface.

http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/1 ... emi-shine/

techguy

#6 Post by techguy »

You can buy 1Kg of citric acid for about £5. That will last you a lifetime.. I use half a teaspoon per full load, with a biological washing liquid. That's it.

My brass is super shiny!
phaedra1106

#7 Post by phaedra1106 »

R4cer, wasn't having a go at you but at £10 for a 12oz bottle that works out about £30 a kilo for something you don't need, citric acid will do the same job at £2 to £5 a Kilo.

I'll happily sell you the 2 bottles if you want them but you'd be better off buying a kilo of citric acid and saving money!.

For passivating the brass I do a rinse with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda added, then a final rinse with a splash of dishwasher anti-streak liquid.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
rox

#8 Post by rox »

phaedra1106 wrote:For passivating the brass I do a rinse with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda added, then a final rinse with a splash of dishwasher anti-streak liquid.
Does bicarb actually passivate? I've heard of it being used as a step to "neutralise" the acid (which I think is ridiculous - how can one possibly match the acidity perfectly; it would just replace an acid which doesn't damage the brass with an alkali that might; why not just rinse off the acid?).

R4CER

#9 Post by R4CER »

rox wrote:
phaedra1106 wrote:Alpha1, it's a dishwasher water softener used by some for wet tumble cleaning of cases (stainless steel pin tumblers).
It's fairly well established that the active ingredient in Lemi Shine is Citric acid, and I've always made my own solution for stainless cleaning with regular washing-up detergent plus citric acid and rinse aid (costing pennies). I've now switched to a car shampoo instead of washing-up detergent (still with citric acid and rinse aid), the idea being to leave a film of wax/polymer on the brass to prevent tarnishing for longer term storage. The brass is certainly shinier (as good as when polished with treated dry media) but I'll have to wait a while to know the tarnishing results. I think the citric does more than just help with water hardness - it helps to break-down the carbon gunk and passivate the brass surface.

http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/1 ... emi-shine/

Can you tell me which car shampoo you use ? please,
R4CER

#10 Post by R4CER »

phaedra1106 wrote:R4cer, wasn't having a go at you but at £10 for a 12oz bottle that works out about £30 a kilo for something you don't need, citric acid will do the same job at £2 to £5 a Kilo.

I'll happily sell you the 2 bottles if you want them but you'd be better off buying a kilo of citric acid and saving money!.

For passivating the brass I do a rinse with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda added, then a final rinse with a splash of dishwasher anti-streak liquid.

I no you weren't , its just that in the UK the stuff seems to have a mystical hysteria about it, lol I just wondered if any one wanted any, wish I had kept stum bigteeth