newb looking for some help

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

thesmeee

newb looking for some help

#1 Post by thesmeee »

both me and my partner are interested in doing some range shooting, thing is neither of us know much about clubs, options availible or the process of getting started.
we would probably both be happy with Rimfire but would like the option to progress onwards from there
so a few questions, if anyone can lend some advice here it would be really appreciated

We live in the Forest of Dean (Coleford) and we have transport, can anyone recommend a good club within a reasonable distance?
What are some good things to look for when you go to visit a club?
before becoming a member can guests hire firearms? i dont want to make a large investment and find its not for me.
if i do like it, will a club store a firearm for you if you dont want to keep it in your house?
do you need a fire arms certificate to do the above?

Got a few more but they are the main ones, hopefully someone will be able to help

Thanks

Paul
HALODIN

Re: newb looking for some help

#2 Post by HALODIN »

Hello Paul,

This should help get you started:

1) Can anyone recommend a good club within a reasonable distance?

The NRA list most if not all of the UK clubs here --> http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/links/ ... =NRA&cat=4

2) What are some good things to look for when you go to visit a club?

Safety, attitude of the members and committee, how often you can shoot at the club, what calibers you can shoot at the club, can you buy ammunition through the club.

3) before becoming a member can guests hire firearms?

If you joined our club, we have a 3-6 month probationary period where you can use the club guns and source ammo for those guns through the club. You'd receive full safety and firearms tuition from nationally recognised range offices and mentored as you progress. You wouldn't hire the rifles, but you pay a provisional membership fee to use all the facilities as often as you like. Once a provisional member your only outgoing is the cost of the ammo.

4) if i do like it, will a club store a firearm for you if you dont want to keep it in your house?

Not normally, although I believe Bisley offer this facility. 99% of certificate holders accept this and secure their own firearms.

5) do you need a fire arms certificate to do the above?

Yes, you will need a firearms licence to own a firearm even if it isn't stored at your property.

The process is normally this - Join a club as a provisional member for a small fee, after proving you are safe with firearms and have achieved a certain level of competency, you will be offered full membership. You will then pay an additional fee to become a full member, ours is about £170 a year and then you can apply for your firearms certificate. After you apply you'll get a visit from your Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) to discuss your application and to see if your property meets their criteria for the safe storage of the firearms you're applying for. You will have to justify each caliber and the number of firearms and ammo on your application. You'll also need a big safe securely mounted to a solid structure somewhere in your house away from prying eyes and then the Police will run background checks to check your suitability. If there's no problems they'll hand deliver your certificate about 3 months later.

Simple... :D

Cheers,

Craig.
DaveT

#3 Post by DaveT »

Severnside range just by the bridge is close to you ...it only goes to 200 but is very friendly and the owner Richard Williams is a top bloke.

You pay a Yearly membership but no additional range fees ...open 3 days a week.
redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#4 Post by redcat »

Craig that's a good advice post for a new starter. I wish that all Police would deliver FAC's by hand - might save a lot of those that go missing every month which are sent out by second class post.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
HALODIN

#5 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks Redcat :good:
psychosomatic88

#6 Post by psychosomatic88 »

thesmeee wrote:both me and my partner are interested in doing some range shooting, thing is neither of us know much about clubs, options availible or the process of getting started.
we would probably both be happy with Rimfire but would like the option to progress onwards from there
so a few questions, if anyone can lend some advice here it would be really appreciated

We live in the Forest of Dean (Coleford) and we have transport, can anyone recommend a good club within a reasonable distance?
What are some good things to look for when you go to visit a club?
before becoming a member can guests hire firearms? i dont want to make a large investment and find its not for me.
if i do like it, will a club store a firearm for you if you dont want to keep it in your house?
do you need a fire arms certificate to do the above?

Got a few more but they are the main ones, hopefully someone will be able to help

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Your just around the corner from me.

There are 4 club in the area you could try, glevum tsc, Ledbury rpc, severnside (my favourite :)) and Dursley who shoot at severnside.

Good things to look for - the range, what's allowed and the crew (all 3 will be difficult to work out for a newbie I guess)

Not all places will hire, and almost none straight away, but there is some exceptions.

Your better off keeping it at home, if you cant some may store but you will need to think long and hard whether firearms are for you right now.

No need for fac, but it helps. We all got to start somewhere.