Walnut tumbling media – group buy

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
rox

Walnut tumbling media – group buy

#1 Post by rox »

Bulk Walnut Tumbling Media - Group Buy

I'm planning to place a large order for walnut tumbling media in 25Kg sacks. This type of media sells on eBay for £50.00 for a 25Kg sack (£38.00 plus £12.00 shipping). If we can get a enough orders together the price will be £30.00 per 25Kg sack, for collection from Bisley by arrangement.

The media is finely graded (25/52 grit) and doesn't clog large-rifle flash holes (I believe it is also ok for small flash holes, but I haven't tried it). It is untreated and works best when treated with suitable metal polish cut with white spirit. My first tumbler-load has cleaned about 10,000 and is still going strong with periodic refreshing of the polish.

The cost is a fraction of the price of branded case cleaning media, and a sack should last a very long time.

Please pm if you wish to make a commitment to join the group-buy, or if you would like more info.

The photos below show an example of the results I get.

ImageImageImage
johngarnett
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Re: Walnut tumbling media – group buy

#2 Post by johngarnett »

I've been using this fine grit for a while now. It was reptile bedding??? WTF??
Much better than 'proper' tumbling media. Just add a bit of TCut!!
Throughly recommend it.
JohnG
matdoodson

#3 Post by matdoodson »

I recently tried this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... ge_o04_s00

It's not nearly as course as it looks in the picture or indeed your first pic ... it did nothing to the dirty brass after 4 hours in the tumbler! So I'm guessing the Walnut GRIT over the SAND is the way to go. I thought the grit would be too big and clog the flash holes - obviously not!

I'll be up for 25kg sack. How many orders do you need?

What ratio of walnut media to Tcut / metal polish and white spirit are people using?

Cheers,
Mat
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

Mat, I bought exactly the same media as you did and found the same thing. Now use the coarse grit and put in a capful mineral spirits with a full tumble. I also put in a drier sheet which absorbs all the dust during the process. With polish, I only add in a tablespoon ever ten runs, if that.
matdoodson

#5 Post by matdoodson »

Cool.. what polish are you using?
I read something about Brasso being no good due to the ammonia?
I'll add dryer sheets to the shopping list as well!
rox

#6 Post by rox »

matdoodson wrote:I'll be up for 25kg sack. How many orders do you need?
I'm currently at 7 (inc you); when we reach 10 I'll pull the trigger.
matdoodson wrote:Cool.. what polish are you using?
I use "Auto Glym Metal Polish", mixed 1:1 with white spirit. There are probably cheaper options. Avoid anything with ammonia. Hard to say how much to add. In my large tumbler I probably charged it with a few tablespoons initially (it is a large tumbler - 500 - 700 .308 cases per run). Now I'll add a cap full about every 4 cycles. If I haven't used the media for a while I'll add a cap full of white spirit to replace what has evaporated. Remember to run the tumbler for a while to mix-in the polish. Don't get it too moist.

The brass in the photos was cleaned for 3 hours.

matdoodson

#7 Post by matdoodson »

Good stuff.. thanks for all the hints n tips there chaps.
Gaz

#8 Post by Gaz »

I'd be in for this.
WelshShooter
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

matdoodson wrote:Cool.. what polish are you using?
I'll add dryer sheets to the shopping list as well!
Whatever car polish I have laying around, currently it is Autoglym Resin Polish which seems to do the job well. There's a specific brand a lot of the yanks add in (NuFinish?) so if you have that laying around give it a go.

Just don't make the mistake I made - treat your media first (no cases) with the polish rather than dumping them all in together. I added it with my cases the first time and all that happened was having the media stuck to the cases (inside and out)...
rox

#10 Post by rox »

Gaz wrote:I'd be in for this.
Ok Gaz. I'm sure to have it by the Imperial, so no need to bring a pillow!