Subsonic 7.62*39 ammo wanted

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
safetyfirst

Subsonic 7.62*39 ammo wanted

#1 Post by safetyfirst »

Before I result to rolling my own, does anyone know of a commercial supplier of this?
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Subsonic 7.62*39 ammo wanted

#2 Post by Daryll »

I'm sure our resident Ruskie will be along shortly, but I would think it will be likes hens teeth in this country.

Rusmilitary can supply, "By special order only with a minimum of 3000 rounds supplied to the military and government security services ONLY (!)"

I think you'll be hand-rolling...
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

Virtually zero chance, the Russians only produced it for use in the AKM and AKMS when used with the PBS suppressor and its use dropped off when the 9x39 fully-suppressed VSS Vintorez and AS Val were introduced in around 1987.

The Russian military 7.62x39 subsonic round used a 192-ish grain bullet which had a slightly wider diameter at 7.94mm than the standard 7.92mm 123 grain bullet so it gripped the rifling better.The subsonic ammo is identified by a black tip over a green band.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

You need to re load.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

snayperskaya wrote:...The subsonic ammo is identified by a black tip over a green band.
Ah! That explains one of the funny looking rounds I picked out of a bunch of regular milsurp. I also have one that has a round nosed bullet that is entirely black - any clues what that might be?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
safetyfirst

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

Thanks all. I have an AKMS with PBS1 coming to me and making it nice and quiet will be a fun experiment. There are various recipes around and some of them seem to involve seating the bullet backwards in the case to lower case volume.

I'll have a play!

I'm not an expert reloaded and this will be by far the most exotic thing I've done with a press.

Any advice or safety considerations would be most welcome.
ovenpaa

#7 Post by ovenpaa »

Most important thing when you start is make sure the bullet has cleared the barrel each time, a visual check or a cleaning rod down the barrel is the only way to be 100% confident.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Does anyone have a recipe for this round which would allow it to comply with normal indoor/gallery range MV/ME restrictions?
DVC
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#9 Post by DanTheMan »

Blackstuff wrote:Does anyone have a recipe for this round which would allow it to comply with normal indoor/gallery range MV/ME restrictions?
I use 6gr Red Dot powder + 140gr lead gas checked bullet, gives you the equivalent to .44 spl ME.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Dark Skies wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:...The subsonic ammo is identified by a black tip over a green band.
Ah! That explains one of the funny looking rounds I picked out of a bunch of regular milsurp. I also have one that has a round nosed bullet that is entirely black - any clues what that might be?
East German (DDR) short range light ball, designation was "Patrone M43 UB".....the "Ub" denoted short range.

If it had a pointed black bullet in a copper-washed case it would be a Russian high pressure proof round.

It's worth noting that PBS equipped AKM's were fitted with a special rear sight that could be calibrated for standard ball rounds and subsonic......

Last edited by snayperskaya on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!