Gun safe, before or after ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

tkd67

Gun safe, before or after ?

#1 Post by tkd67 »

Hi to all, well i have 3 months left before my probation finishes, and have looked on each topic concerning FAC questions and excuse me if this has been mentioned but i dont believe ive come across my question. Does the rifle safe have to be installed before the visit by the fao, my brother inlaw reckoned that you had interview and a discussion to where it was going to be installed, then he came back at a later date to check.

Just a little confused as i was reading a check list on full bore, that stated probation...safe instalment..interview..

Is all the above dependent to which area of the country you live..

Thankyou :good:
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Gun safe, before or after ?

#2 Post by dromia »

To complete the application process firearms licensing will need to see your security in place, I always think it best to get them out before hand as well to talk through your security plans with them so that there are no surprises when your final visit happens.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
tkd67

#3 Post by tkd67 »

Thanks, that was my first thought, but just wasnt sure. I did however intend to discuss the matter with my local police station, but didnt want to run before i could walk so to speak, but as stated on other topics they are there to give help and advice ;)
judders

#4 Post by judders »

I did it the way Dromia said and I'm glad I did, as my intended location for the safe didn't work for the FEO and I ended up putting it somewhere else.

That said, I know people who installed before the visit and had no problems.
techguy

#5 Post by techguy »

I installed my cab for my SGC before my interview with no problems.

I'll be doing the same with my FAC application in November :) (additional cab next to my current one)

I think either way is fine, but you may end up moving it of the FEO doesn't like the location.
ovenpaa

#6 Post by ovenpaa »

I asked the FEO for advice on the positioning of my very first shotgun cabinet many years ago and since then have just put them in and told the FEO without a problem. Getting them involved first time is always a good idea.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler

#7 Post by saddler »

L&B now insist that they do a pre-issue inspection WITHOUT need for a cabinet installed
They then issue the FAC: THEN they ask for proof of a cabinet so that guns can be added to the FAC

Happened to one of the newer club members I know!!
I thought he'd got it mixed up - but that's what happened...

...so the 5 year clock is ticking without any guns owned kukkuk
Primer

#8 Post by Primer »

I installed all mine prior to SGC & FAC and had no problems, I just used commonsense and followed the firearms security guidelines and also checked with my firearms dept that they had no additional stipulations. I did this as I didn't want my applications holding up any longer than they already were by having to have an extra visit.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

I also installed mine prior to the visit and had no problems. As long as you're confident that its not a ridiculous place to mount it, the FEO will probably thank you for keeping the number of site visits down to a minimum :good:
DVC
techguy

#10 Post by techguy »

I echo what Blackstuff said above, my FEO seemed pleased that I had already installed the cab in a sensible location securely fixed. He was in and out inside 20 minutes for my SGC interview. I expect my FAC interview will be slightly longer.

If you're confident you're putting it in the best place you can which fits with the guidelines, and fix it securely before your visit then go for it :)