.22lr bolt action rifle suggestions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

jaarus

.22lr bolt action rifle suggestions

#1 Post by jaarus »

Hello,
First post....

I currently have 2 permissions on which I shoot regularly (vermin) using a sub 12 PCP.

I am looking to go FAC and get a .22lr Bolt Action and potentially a .17HMR or .223 or similar in the future. I am led to believe that the larger of my permissions was previously shot by the gamekeeper so should hopefully be OK regarding my choice of rifles.
I have been in touch with my local FEO as I had a lot of questions about ammount of ammo etc and rifle choice - seems to be a really nice bloke as his email reply was full of information and not the 'have a look online' type reply I was expecting.

So I have started looking at possible .22lr BA rifles and whilst there are hundreds to choose from on Guntrader etc ranging from about £75 upto hundreds of pounds - but the only rifles I ever hear anyone reaving about are the CZ452 (or the older BRNO version) or anything by Anschutz.

But is that it?

Basically I am really hoping that some of the experienced hunters on here could name a few other rifles to look at/consider as both the CZ and Anschutz rifles are quite pricey.
Now if they really are the best 2nd hand option by a country mile then I will grab one of them but perhaps there are some old chestnuts which are reliable and accurate and that I should also consider?

Thanks for reading..
saddler

Re: .22lr bolt action rifle suggestions

#2 Post by saddler »

Some of the old BSA rifles with tube magazines can be picked up for not a lot of money - quite often in the £50-£80 price range. Ideal for bunny work, not as much use for competitions where you need to do quick reloads

Have a look on Guntrader, Gunbroker and GunWatch
tackb

#3 Post by tackb »

There pricey as well but if you find a Sako fin fire buy it they are superb , far superior to the quad pretender !
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Welcome to the forum Jaarus! :good: :wave: :grin:

Why don't you introduce yourself on the New Members forum?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dave 101

#5 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi

There must be a reason why every one raves about the CZ 452 and that is because its a very good rifle for the money and it does the biz . If you are looking for scoped only the Varmint 452 with a 16" barrel threaded for a mod is ideal .
Also consider a BRNO Model 2 which is exactly the same rifle as the CZ .
Spare magazines are easy to come by .
As with any rifle you will need to test different brands of ammo to find the one that is best suited to your rifle .
Dont forget to get a zeroing condition on your FAC , also apply for a mod and hollowpoint ammo also stating the quarry you are intending to hunt .

Dave
Last edited by Dave 101 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaarus

#6 Post by jaarus »

ok will do :)
Primer

#7 Post by Primer »

Yeah the CZ is a cracking rifle, i got one a couple of weeks ago, they are very popular at my club and one member swears by it for bunny bashing with easy headshots out to 100m and beyond.

Depends on your budget and distance you want accuracy for as for £350-400 you could get one of the New Savage or Puma bunny bashers and they come with scope and moderator, or you have the Chinese CZ copies, norinco I think they are called and our club has some as club guns along with Rugers and Anshzucht (bad spelling)
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

Primer wrote:Yeah the CZ is a cracking rifle, i got one a couple of weeks ago, they are very popular at my club and one member swears by it for bunny bashing with easy headshots out to 100m and beyond.

Depends on your budget and distance you want accuracy for as for £350-400 you could get one of the New Savage or Puma bunny bashers and they come with scope and moderator, or you have the Chinese CZ copies, norinco I think they are called and our club has some as club guns along with Rugers and Anshzucht (bad spelling)
100YARD HEADSHOTS!!!
How many cripples running away?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Cripples running? Is that not an oxymoron? :o

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Primer

#10 Post by Primer »

dodgyrog wrote: 100YARD HEADSHOTS!!!
How many cripples running away?
I pretty much believe the guy he's ex special forces and runs training courses for the military and police and the rifles are very accurate.