advice on a rifle please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ianmack

advice on a rifle please

#1 Post by ianmack »

I am about to apply for membership at the ranges overbin diggle and after a bit of advice ease.

The requirement i am after is to shoot from 100 up to 1000 yards eventually and can only afford 1 rifle due to my impending doom (wedding) next year.

I was thinking possibly a rem 700 in a 308 or something of that type of rifle. It will probably have to be a 2nd hand rifle to start with also and up to about 700/800 mark.

Any help appreciated,

Ian
saddler

Re: advice on a rifle please

#2 Post by saddler »

A 2nd-hand Parker Hale 1200TX will be a lot less than the Rem 700 & have no issues at the distances you want to use it at
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

saddler wrote:A 2nd-hand Parker Hale 1200TX will be a lot less than the Rem 700 & have no issues at the distances you want to use it at
It'll be a lot cheaper than getting married and will probably last a lot longer too. lol :grin:
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
tackb

#4 Post by tackb »

rem 700 in 308 is a good rifle plus it has soo many options to upgrade as the funds permit ?
ianmack

#5 Post by ianmack »

dodgyrog wrote:
saddler wrote:A 2nd-hand Parker Hale 1200TX will be a lot less than the Rem 700 & have no issues at the distances you want to use it at
It'll be a lot cheaper than getting married and will probably last a lot longer too. lol :grin:
Haha, good and fair point!! Thanks for th.e heads up on the parker. what are they like accuracy wise?
saddler

#6 Post by saddler »

ianmack wrote:
dodgyrog wrote:
Haha, good and fair point!! Thanks for th.e heads up on the parker. what are they like accuracy wise?
More accurate than you are :wave:

The same P-H barrel (more or less) was used on the M85 sniper rifle & used to see regular use at Bisley
.Armalon are now also fitting said P-H barrels to the Rem 700

Another option is the P-H T4 (similar gun but built on a Lee action)

Another route would be a P'14 fitted with a heavy barrel in 308 - another under-rated gun that similarly sells for peanuts
ianmack

#7 Post by ianmack »

I was thinking something a little more modern (and my accuracy will come in time i am sure troutslapping :-p)
ovenpaa

#8 Post by ovenpaa »

6,5x55 would be my choice, it does mean you need to load you own as factory stuff is pricey so no nasty 7,62x51 however it is a better round at distance and very easy to load. Look for a Howa 1500 as a workable alternative.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#9 Post by shugie »

Or a Savage, I nearly bought one and was much impressed with the Accutrigger.
Careful now/that sort of thing
tackb

#10 Post by tackb »

+1 on the Howa , good bits of kit