Just a couple of SGC questions (sorry!)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

phil_h

Just a couple of SGC questions (sorry!)

#1 Post by phil_h »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and was after a bit of advice if possible. I often go shooting with my dad (an SGC holder) and I'm thinking of getting a SGC of my own. We shoot on 11 acres of our own land so having somewhere to shoot isn't a problem. My main questions are:

Could I keep my shotgun in my dads cabinet at his house?

When I was younger I got arrested a couple of times for getting into trouble because I basically couldn't hold my drink! On both occasions I got a fine but no convictions or court. Would this have to be included on the 'Convicitons' part of the form?

I've been in the RAF for four years so hopefully that would be seen as a respectable job, but I'm concerned that the above issues could affect my application.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers, Phil
M99

Re: Just a couple of SGC questions (sorry!)

#2 Post by M99 »

phil_h wrote:Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and was after a bit of advice if possible. I often go shooting with my dad (an SGC holder) and I'm thinking of getting a SGC of my own. We shoot on 11 acres of our own land so having somewhere to shoot isn't a problem. My main questions are:

Could I keep my shotgun in my dads cabinet at his house?
Yes, entered on both certificates would be fine.
When I was younger I got arrested a couple of times for getting into trouble because I basically couldn't hold my drink! On both occasions I got a fine but no convictions or court. Would this have to be included on the 'Convicitons' part of the form?
Yes it would need to be entered on the application, I don't see how you could get a fine with no conviction? - if you mean you were dealt with by the way of a fixed penalty notice - then afraid to tell you that they count as convictions!
I've been in the RAF for four years so hopefully that would be seen as a respectable job, but I'm concerned that the above issues could affect my application.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers, Phil
Just be open and honest in the application and when you speak to the FLO - do not hide anything, it will all be on the computer!

You can also keep the gun at the armoury, a fair few RAF camps used to have clay clubs and rough shooting clubs - let me know if you need info on RAF Clay shooting and I'll point you in the right direction.

Mike
phil_h

#3 Post by phil_h »

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. The first was a fixed penalty notice then the second was all dealt with by P1 admin at work, so I paid a fine through them to fix some damage caused. Hopefully these won't cause any issues with my application but I will speak to the FLO.
Good news on the cabinet too, makes sense to use my dads one.

Thanks again.
M99

#4 Post by M99 »

phil_h wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Mike. The first was a fixed penalty notice then the second was all dealt with by P1 admin at work, so I paid a fine through them to fix some damage caused. Hopefully these won't cause any issues with my application but I will speak to the FLO.

Thanks again.
If the second one was a RAF 252 then it won't show on your civilian record (Unless things have drastically changed in the last 12 years!!)

The first FPN, if issued by a civilian force as opposed to the RAFP then it will carry a record I am afraid.

Mike
phil_h

#5 Post by phil_h »

MiLisCer wrote:
phil_h wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Mike. The first was a fixed penalty notice then the second was all dealt with by P1 admin at work, so I paid a fine through them to fix some damage caused. Hopefully these won't cause any issues with my application but I will speak to the FLO.

Thanks again.
If the second one was a RAF 252 then it won't show on your civilian record (Unless things have drastically changed in the last 12 years!!)

The first FPN, if issued by a civilian force as opposed to the RAFP then it will carry a record I am afraid.

Mike
The first FPN was from civ pol but hopefully it won't be looked on too dimly. As for other I'm not sure how it was dealt with, I didn't get any paperwork but just had to pay some damages. I will ask the Firearms officer If I should mention it. Thanks for your help again Mike sign92
M99

#6 Post by M99 »

No worries - I would NOT mention the RAF hiccup, there will be no record outside of the RAF. If dealt with by P1 then, it will be the result of an RAF F252 - was that at Brize? - I know the OC Police at Brize troutslapping
phil_h

#7 Post by phil_h »

Small world ey!It happened while I was at Cosford in 2010, but was dealt with in 2011 at Brize. The arrest was by civpol but was released the same night and everything then went through P1 after that. So the civilian police will have a record of both :(