New to shooting overland, land/mentor request

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

kahnindustries

New to shooting overland, land/mentor request

#1 Post by kahnindustries »

Hi everyone,

I have been shooting full bore on ranges (Bisley & Rogiet Moor mainly) for 20+ years and have held my FAC for 10 years owning .22 and 7.62 rifles.

Some of my friends shoot overland and do fox hunting with .22 and .17HMR

I have recently requested a variation to allow .223, sound moderator and expanded ammunition for Foxes overland (which has been granted) and have acquired permission for a piece of land, however the owner would not allow a mentor to accompany me. I have been left in the situation where I have all of the relevant permissions but I cant use them!

The FEO has stated that, given my experience with the 7.62 he is just concerned in my knowledge of overland etiquette, and would be more than happy with a very short mentor ship before going straight to open certificate.

I was hoping to find someone on this board in the South Wales/M4 corridor (I work in Eton, Windsor 2 days a week) that could provide me, or guide me in how to get, permission to shoot over land that both me and my mentor can use.

Or alternatively I would also be happy to change Mentor for this and shoot with as a new mentor on their land, and drive pretty much anywhere!

In the mean time I will be getting the rifle and zeroing it all in etc...

I have been shooting .22, 5.56 and 7.62 for 20 years and am fully competent and will work with any help you guys can give me.

Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: New to shooting overland, land/mentor request

#2 Post by dromia »

Welcome to Full-Bore UK. :wave: :grin:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
M99

#3 Post by M99 »

Hi,

The best way is to put aside a day and go and knock on some doors, not as daunting as it sounds and I would be surprised if you did not get a yes or two.

Why do you not ask your shooting friends if you could accompany them on their ground? - if you have a closed certificate naming a particular farm, then I am sure your FEO will be more than helpful in adding the new ground, as it is likely to be already cleared for that calibre, if it is already being shot over.

Mike
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

BTW why don't you say hello in the New Members forum?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
kahnindustries

#5 Post by kahnindustries »

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I will be taking your advice on :)

My friends shoot on a farmers land that they are very familiar with and he would be uncomfortable asking his permission for someone he doesn't know.

I live near Llantrisant so I am surrounded by farmland, do you guys have any advice for approaching farmers, or would you drive up and knock on their doors?
M99

#6 Post by M99 »

It is a case of driving up and knocking on the door I am afraid - avoid tea time!!

Morning is usually best, find them around the yard and it is easier - a good bottle always goes down well.

Mike