SAVAGE BA10 in .308/7.62

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ovenpaa

Re: SAVAGE BA10 in .308/7.62

#21 Post by ovenpaa »

My view is if the BA10 appeals then look at the Accuracy International AE as a very workable alternative. Chambered in 7,62x51 they are very capable rifles to 1100 yards, incredibly robust and will give years of service, I have one here that I have put 10k rounds through from new and yes it strings the first few shots and would benefit from a new barrel however it still holds just over 1 MOA at 600m with Milsurp

Accuracy International are distributed by Sporting Services in the Vendors and Innovators section.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
graphictart
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#22 Post by graphictart »

Now they look nice!
Thanks Mike
graphictart
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#23 Post by graphictart »

Please note that this was directed to David as I received a pm from him and I cannot send one back for some reason?
However all help is appreciated as I feel I have stumbled across my first minefield.

Hi David,
So the "old argument" about shooting .308 out of a 7.62 does not apply with the AI Rifles?
(what I mean by that is that I was under the impression that 7.62 "shell" was thicker to withstand "military" abuse and a lower powered round than a shop bought 308 and that when a 308 round was shot in a 7.62 that it would stretch more and be of limited reloading use due to more distortions in the case.

I'm very new to this and the internet is probably one of the worst places to get this kind of information from.
I also understand that the majority of my search results into this have been from the USA.

Really appreciate your time in this matter.

Regards
John
ovenpaa

#24 Post by ovenpaa »

John, hopefully you picked up my reply.

There are indeed pressure and chamber differences between SAAMI .308 and NATO 7,62x51 and I would never advocate shooting modern competition SAAMI .308 rounds in say a Lee Enfield conversion however in my experience the Accuracy International chambered in a fairly open NATO 7,62x51 is more than capable of handling any current .308 factory load plus some fairly stout home loads using .308 brass and modern powders without issues.

Does anyone else have a view on this now we have moved to the specter that is chambering a factory .308 in a modern 7,62x51 rifle? tongueout
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler

#25 Post by saddler »

ovenpaa wrote: Does anyone else have a view on this now we have moved to the specter that is chambering a factory .308 in a modern 7,62x51 rifle? tongueout
7.62NATO in a 308 rifle = NO
308 in a 7.62NATO rifle = OK

OR am I missing something?
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#26 Post by Sandgroper »

saddler wrote:
ovenpaa wrote: Does anyone else have a view on this now we have moved to the specter that is chambering a factory .308 in a modern 7,62x51 rifle? tongueout
7.62NATO in a 308 rifle = NO
308 in a 7.62NATO rifle = OK

OR am I missing something?
Other way round from what I've read. http://www.303british.com/id36.html
If it's a modern 7.62x51, it could well be proofed for .308 Win.
Military ammunition is loaded to maximum average pressure 50,000 CUP (approximately 58,000 PSI using the modern piezo transducer method of measurement). This standard is used to ensure better consistency round to round. It is proofed at 67,000PSI. The ammunition can then be used in a wide variety of firearms with no ill effects.

Commercial ammunition has a SAAMI/ANSI maximum pressure of 62,000PSI. While not every manufacturer may load it to this level, this is the industry established maximum. This is also measured using the piezo transducer method. The proof cartridge pressure is 83,000 to 89,000 PSI. Note the differences between the military test and operational standard vs the commercial one.

The worst case scenario for shooters of 7.62 NATO rifles is as follows: Using a commercially made, maximum pressure cartridge with long headspace, fired from a weak action (ex. converted 93/95 Mausers).

The weaker action is a possible final piece of the 308 vs 7.62 NATO puzzle.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mr_Logic

#27 Post by Mr_Logic »

The other one you could consider is the CZ750, which is their sniper rifle. CZ always shoot well in my experience.

Or even the CZ550 varmint Kevlar, which is a slightly different version of the same sort of thing.

They are a lot cheaper than an AI and work well with no modifications (unlike Remington which at best needs a decent trigger)