Rifle or Shotgun?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

SevenSixTwo

Rifle or Shotgun?

#1 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I've bought a .308 SP rifle and am just about to apply for my FAC.

I "might as well" get a 'secondary' for days when we only have the shotgun or shorter ranges at our disposal. Can't borrow other people's stuff forever...

My immediate thought is a Spikes .223 SP AR with a .22 upper - best of both worlds? I'm kinda blasé about actually owning a shotgun to be honest (although some might say I should exercise my 'right'!).

I have about 1.5k max for either a shotgun or another rifle. Assuming you enjoy all target disciplines (much the same here), which would you go for and why? Any suggestions for make/model?

:)
NitroJoe

Re: Rifle or Shotgun?

#2 Post by NitroJoe »

I'm sure you could get both, if not all 3: Shotgun, .223 and 22lr with your budget. So it's a personal choice what you buy. A shotgun opens up the choice of clays too.

Curious how you bought a 308 without an FAC? In storage?

p.s for the sake of an extra £10 to get your SGC with your FAC, you `might as well` as you say, no obligation to buy one immmediately :)
SevenSixTwo

#3 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I should point out I'm in NI where you have to 'buy before you apply'. It's insane but there you go.

I'd rather get one good system than two half-arsed ones.
ordnance

#4 Post by ordnance »

My immediate thought is a Spikes .223 SP AR with a .22 upper
Nice rifle but you won't get it for hunting club only.
SevenSixTwo

#5 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I don't hunt.
saddler

#6 Post by saddler »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I don't hunt.
signfunnypost
NitroJoe

#7 Post by NitroJoe »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I should point out I'm in NI where you have to 'buy before you apply'. It's insane but there you go.

I'd rather get one good system than two half-arsed ones.
Ah, didn't know how it worked in NI.. The rest still applies though :)
SevenSixTwo

#8 Post by SevenSixTwo »

No probs.

I want a 'real' AR not some monkey metal thing. ;) Does CMMG fit that description?

Who does Spikes apart from NWCP? Need to compare prices...
saddler

#9 Post by saddler »

SevenSixTwo wrote:No probs.

I want a 'real' AR not some monkey metal thing. ;) Does CMMG fit that description?

Who does Spikes apart from NWCP? Need to compare prices...
I went with the Souther Gun Co V-22

Took me a while to find one...now up for sale - though there was (is) another V-22 on here for a good few hundred quid less than I was/am asking for mine

Bradley are good IF you can find them.
Bremmer are also good
V-22 are good

Have no direct knowledge of Lantac - Spikes are no longer in the 22 market so spares may be an issue - Nordic, again, no experience of them

I went with the first .22 AR I found that was a correct AR build; so I can/could in theory have a slot on my FAC added for ***-cal upper receiver at a later date.

I've tried the Colt & S&W versions.
Look the part...but the over use of plastic & not being compatible with normal AR bits makes them not on the possibles list

Oh, until recently I had my V-22 down as a bunny/vermin rifle on my FAC as well as a club rifle - (some folk think that such things are not allowed)
NitroJoe

#10 Post by NitroJoe »

CMMG is a 'real' AR with a 22lr bolt and a .22 barrel basically. Lantac do list a CMMG conversion kit but none in stock (worth a call) so you could possibly buy a 223 rifle and have a slot for the .22lr bolt, you just swap the bolts over and use the same .223 upper/barrel. That would be cheaper, if you can get one that is