Sending a rifle to a gunsmith

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Sending a rifle to a gunsmith

#1 Post by shugie »

I might need to send my Rossi off to be sorted, am I correct in thinking that the only way of doing this, apart from taking it in person, is to send it as a transfer from RFD to RFD?

Also, what, if anything, do I need to do about my certificate while it's away? Does it get recorded as being elsewhere, or is an RFD having it an acceptable location for the police?
Careful now/that sort of thing
saddler

Re: Sending a rifle to a gunsmith

#2 Post by saddler »

shugie wrote:...am I correct in thinking that the only way of doing this, apart from taking it in person, is to send it as a transfer from RFD to RFD?
YES
shugie wrote:Also, what, if anything, do I need to do about my certificate while it's away? Does it get recorded as being elsewhere, or is an RFD having it an acceptable location for the police?
DO NOTHING - it'll be on the RFD books as received in by them on a certain date for repair, etc.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

saddler wrote:
shugie wrote:...am I correct in thinking that the only way of doing this, apart from taking it in person, is to send it as a transfer from RFD to RFD?
YES
shugie wrote:Also, what, if anything, do I need to do about my certificate while it's away? Does it get recorded as being elsewhere, or is an RFD having it an acceptable location for the police?
DO NOTHING - it'll be on the RFD books as received in by them on a certain date for repair, etc.
:good:

The only thing i'd do additionally would be to get some kind of receipt/chitty from the RFD
DVC
Individual

#4 Post by Individual »

shugie wrote:I might need to send my Rossi off to be sorted
Is it an 1892?
What kind of problem has it got?
Is there a UK gunsmith that works on the Rossi and has a good reputation with them? - be interested to know.
(or even where to get spares from these days?)
shugie

#5 Post by shugie »

Individual wrote:
shugie wrote:I might need to send my Rossi off to be sorted
Is it an 1892?
What kind of problem has it got?
Is there a UK gunsmith that works on the Rossi and has a good reputation with them? - be interested to know.
(or even where to get spares from these days?)
It's a Puma underlever, which might well be an 1892, I'm not certain about that though.

I bought it new from Adenbourne in their closing down sale, first time I used it I had some misfires and once it went off as I closed the bolt, so I suspect that the firing pin is sticking. Anyway I don't want to use it again until a gunsmith has checked it over, I've asked the importer, Highland, if they can assist me but as yet have had no response.

Someone did suggest Alan Povedin as a person who could help, but I don't know where to contact him. But there is a gunsmith called Alan Vickers in Skegness whose website http://aandagunsmiths.co.uk/ suggests they can sort cowboy guns, so that is where the gun will be going I think.

Spares seem to be freely available in the US, and some of the places supplying them seem to ship overseas.
ovenpaa

#6 Post by ovenpaa »

Dave Wylde at Valkyrie is another one worth checking out, he has a good reputation for his trick and slick work on under levers.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
shugie

#7 Post by shugie »

ovenpaa wrote:Dave Wylde at Valkyrie is another one worth checking out, he has a good reputation for his trick and slick work on under levers.
Whereabouts is he based?

Also, slightly relevant question here - if, as a consumer, I buy something from a company that goes bust, then I believe EU law is that the importer is responsible for the product. Given that I've got an unsafe gun on first use, I really don't want to be out of pocket if I can avoid that. Anyone got a mail address for Highland Outdoors?
Andy632

#8 Post by Andy632 »

shugie wrote:I might need to send my Rossi off to be sorted, am I correct in thinking that the only way of doing this, apart from taking it in person, is to send it as a transfer from RFD to RFD?

Also, what, if anything, do I need to do about my certificate while it's away? Does it get recorded as being elsewhere, or is an RFD having it an acceptable location for the police?
As far as I'm aware there is nothing to stop you sending it directly to a RFD for repair.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#9 Post by Mike357 »

Dave Wylde I doubt will touch them as I once suggested he could look at my Winchester 1894 and he laughed and shook his head.

Alan Povedin is your man and trades as Action Shooting Company and Google should help you out. If not, gimme a shout as I have his card in the office. Alan is a top bloke, shoots competitively and has worked on my Marlin.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
shugie

#10 Post by shugie »

Mike357 wrote:Dave Wylde I doubt will touch them as I once suggested he could look at my Winchester 1894 and he laughed and shook his head.

Alan Povedin is your man and trades as Action Shooting Company and Google should help you out. If not, gimme a shout as I have his card in the office. Alan is a top bloke, shoots competitively and has worked on my Marlin.
Found that site, seems the man himself appears at Bisley sometimes, so I think that might be the better option than sending the Rossi off. Thanks.