Didn't take long

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

mattthecloud

Didn't take long

#1 Post by mattthecloud »

Evening all.

Just a couple of questions that are running through my mind.

I have applied for FAC and had my visit.

I applied for .22LR and moderator. When this comes back will it specify bolt action or semi auto or are they the same for FAC purpose or, lastly, is it asumed its bolt and you have to specify semi if you want it?

I have been looking about, as you do, and it seems that CZ 452 seems an obvious way to go. Anyone have any other suggestions on a budget of £300-400 including a mod (i have scopes, slings, bipods etc)

Also, after speaking with friends, it would seem Winchest Sub hollowpoints are very popular and effective. Do i need to specify hollowpoints on the FAC or is this just for the larger calibres?

I wrote a list of questions for the FEO and we worked through them but for some reason i wasn't thinking of this at the time.

Matt.
Ratman2

Re: Didn't take long

#2 Post by Ratman2 »

I'm sure you have to state bolt action or semi auto on your application.
M99

#3 Post by M99 »

No you do not have to state on your application (Well not in any of the 5 force areas I have had FACs from)

I have a small selection of .22lrs - once bought they are listed on your ticket showing the action too - but the authority to purchase for me has always been .22lr rifle. I did run in to one RFD who would not initially sell me a semi auto that I wanted as my ticket didn't state semi auto - I rang my FLD whilst there - he spoke to RFD (Same issuing area) and I came home with the gun.

Mike
mattthecloud

#4 Post by mattthecloud »

Many thanks for the replies.

I want a bolt action anyway but i just wondered if i saw a second hand semi or something that took my fancy if it would be something that i could do.
Tomo

#5 Post by Tomo »

I recently got my FAC through the post and had exactly this experience.

The advice I received from my club was that if I asked for 1 bolt action and 1 semi-auto .22LR that's what they'd give me, however if I just requested two .22LR "RIFLES" then that's what they'd put on my FAC. I asked for two .22LR Rifles and that's whats stated on my FAC.

I'd asked for two with the intention of getting one bolt action and one semi-auto rifle. In the end I couldn't find the bolt action Marlin I wanted so ended up with 2 semi-auto rifles instead!
mattthecloud

#6 Post by mattthecloud »

So the likelyhood is that it will say 1x .22 LR and i should be able to go either way with any issues probably being able to be sorted out with a phonecall.

thanks for your replies.

Any suggestions other than a 452?
Tomo

#7 Post by Tomo »

mattthecloud wrote:Any suggestions other than a 452?
I was looking at the Marlin XT range, as they get pretty decent reviews, don't cost the earth and most importantly of all seem accurate! Couldn't find the one I wanted though, although Macavoys did say they'd order one in for me.
smack

#8 Post by smack »

Tomo wrote: The advice I received from my club was that if I asked for 1 bolt action and 1 semi-auto .22LR that's what they'd give me, however if I just requested two .22LR "RIFLES" then that's what they'd put on my FAC. I asked for two .22LR Rifles and that's whats stated on my FAC.

I'd asked for two with the intention of getting one bolt action and one semi-auto rifle. In the end I couldn't find the bolt action Marlin I wanted so ended up with 2 semi-auto rifles instead!
I got advised to just put 22 rifle, 2 on my ticket, and 1 on my OH ticket. The FEO just said I guess one is Semi Auto and the other bolt action? Just said I hadn't decided, but I will have to get the OH her own 10/22 as a bribery payment. He wasn't too fussed and signed them all off (7 guns on my ticket, most with moderators, 2 on hers)
leeroy7031
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#9 Post by leeroy7031 »

MiLisCer wrote:No you do not have to state on your application (Well not in any of the 5 force areas I have had FACs from) Mike
Correct, but if you DO specify then its a variation if you decide to change your mind. I have seen that some areas do ask for this to be specified (read this on another forum ... so not sure how reliable this is)

We are blessed with our FLO's, they are quick to turn around applications and have a very sensible approach :shakeshout:
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
M99

#10 Post by M99 »

leeroy7031 wrote:
MiLisCer wrote:No you do not have to state on your application (Well not in any of the 5 force areas I have had FACs from) Mike
Correct, but if you DO specify then its a variation if you decide to change your mind. I have seen that some areas do ask for this to be specified (read this on another forum ... so not sure how reliable this is)

We are blessed with our FLO's, they are quick to turn around applications and have a very sensible approach :shakeshout:
Lee.

Just had my ticket back front staffs. Asked for 2 more 22lr and that's what I got.