Advice appreciated

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

molex81

Advice appreciated

#1 Post by molex81 »

Hi im looking in to what I should get as a start up set up. I will be shooting 100yds up to 700max

Im thinking of a Savage Axis in .308 or rem 700 sps ?? as they seem good value and im trying to keep my costs down as I already spend a fortune shooting clays.
In terms of a nothing fancy suitable scope what should I be looking for and what should I be expecting to pay??

Cheers in advance

Mike.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Advice appreciated

#2 Post by Mike357 »

If you want to keep costs down them I'd suggest a Parker Hale 1200/TX at around £400 and then a Fox scope at just over £100. Leaves you plenty cash for all the other crap you'll need :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
ovenpaa

#3 Post by ovenpaa »

I agree with Mike, that is a good low key combination, add a Harris type bipod and a sock filled with sand for the rear end and you are good to go.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tower75

#4 Post by Tower75 »

If you're keeping the cost down, how're about a Mosin-Nagant M91/30? They're about £225, and as accurate as you like.
ovenpaa

#5 Post by ovenpaa »

Or even the humble P14 in .303 however 54R milsurp is cheaper than .303 British.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
AL8

#6 Post by AL8 »

if you reload how about a 7.5x55?, unusual and accurate