Buying gun parts over the internet

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dombo63

Re: Buying gun parts over the internet

#21 Post by Dombo63 »

HALODIN wrote:As if by chance my father leaves for Florida tomorrow morning and I'm tempted to ask him to pick up an optic for me...
I would suggest not. I believe the Americans are understandably very touchy about such things being exported other than through official distributors.
SevenSixTwo

#22 Post by SevenSixTwo »

ovenpaa wrote:...you can however get over the ITAR part if needed.
Can you elaborate? I'm getting a bid fed up getting raped on costs here.
HALODIN

#23 Post by HALODIN »

I decided I'd leave it for the time being.
Dombo63 wrote:
HALODIN wrote:As if by chance my father leaves for Florida tomorrow morning and I'm tempted to ask him to pick up an optic for me...
I would suggest not. I believe the Americans are understandably very touchy about such things being exported other than through official distributors.
HALODIN

#24 Post by HALODIN »

I tried to buy Troy battle sights from brownells.com, but was advised it is an ITAR export item, as is the Noveske KX3 that I can't source until June in the UK... If there's a way around the ITAR export issue, I'd be grateful if someone would let me know how you deal with this please...

Cheers,

Craig.
SevenSixTwo

#25 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Are you using them as your first line or for backup?

I'll doubtless get slagged for this but If they're just for back up get some clones and save yourself a couple of hundred quid. Most good ones are just as robust as the real thing and function just the same (adjustments etc). If and when they break (which I doubt they will) just buy another set. You'll still have saved some money.

If you want to buy the real thing, go to LanTac http://www.lannertactical.com/LanTac-On ... ights.html but prepare for a gaping butthole.
HALODIN

#26 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the post, but consider it gaping, I've just bought some from LanTac. They will probably have to do until I can work out what scope I want to mount on it. Incidentally, I have some of the copy Troy sights on my Brocock M4 CO2 BB gun and they're pretty poor quality IMO, which is why I went for the real thing. The sound of the spring alone is enough to put you off... :grin:

Any word on your LM7 yet?
SevenSixTwo

#27 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Ooof. Raw nerve. :bad: ;)

I got a SpectreDR 1.5-6x for mine.

Fair dos on the sights. There are about four different manufacturers of clone irons - VFC being by far the best. Just picked up a VFC clone of the KAC front sight, saving £150. Not to be sniffed at (for back up). I've compared numerous clones with real and I'm damned if I can see any difference in form or function. Avoid 'DBoys', 'ACM' etc though. Sh*te.

Have fun.
HALODIN

#28 Post by HALODIN »

It's only money... :grin:

Nice scope! :good: The Elcan Specter DR 1-4X is my dream scope for my Spikes ST-22, but I'm struggling to justify the cost... I still might you never know.
SevenSixTwo

#29 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I'll just be running with a Eotech 552 for 22LR shenanigans up to 100m. I see little point in getting anything more expensive or elaborate such as a 4x. It's a bit overkill IMO for plinking at short range.
HALODIN

#30 Post by HALODIN »

We'll see I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Out of interest, what size groupings would you expect with the Elcan with .308 at 100 yards?