Application is in.. up next.. *the* meeting

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

BaconButty

Application is in.. up next.. *the* meeting

#1 Post by BaconButty »

Wonder if I can pick your wonderful(!) brains please.

I've put my FAC and SGC apps in, so am expecting a visit from the FEO any day now (yeah right, 16 week wait!) but I'm nervous about the questions, especially regarding calibers. I've put target rifle for all, and PSG for Sec1 slug. My club does regular trips to Bisley so I've put my club name and "home office approved ranges" in all the slots.

The thing is, I haven't done any competency tests with fullbore or SG yet, as I won't have the firearms yet obviously. Is the FEO likely to grill me on this or is "I will be partaking in the competency tests and join shoots at bisley" enough of a reason for them?
Primer

Re: Application is in.. up next.. *the* meeting

#2 Post by Primer »

BaconButty wrote:Wonder if I can pick your wonderful(!) brains please.

I've put my FAC and SGC apps in, so am expecting a visit from the FEO any day now (yeah right, 16 week wait!) but I'm nervous about the questions, especially regarding calibers. I've put target rifle for all, and PSG for Sec1 slug. My club does regular trips to Bisley so I've put my club name and "home office approved ranges" in all the slots.

The thing is, I haven't done any competency tests with fullbore or SG yet, as I won't have the firearms yet obviously. Is the FEO likely to grill me on this or is "I will be partaking in the competency tests and join shoots at bisley" enough of a reason for them?
I think everyones experience will be different, my interview for my sgc 6 years ago was quite a grilling but then last year for my Fac & sgc renewal was easy once the feo found I did clay shooting at the same club as him. On my Fac gun list he just asked if I had shot all the calibres I had requested, I said most as some I couldn't without first having a license for them (lbp/lbr & sec1 shotgun) , luckily my club has authority for all the calibres I requested 8 guns in total and plenty of ammo and no questions asked about shotgun slug or sec1 shotgun, I just listed on my application for use at my club and any authorised club, I expected to be asked for safety certificates etc but not even mentioned.

But ask the next man and he may of had an awful interview.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

As long as your club has the facilities for all of the calibres you've asked for you shouldn't have a problem with the rifles/pistols. For the S1 shotgun/PSG they may tell you that you need to be a member of the UKPSA and/or have passed their Basic Safety Course. Neither is stated in the legislation and there have been cases where people have successfully overturned these requirements but only after some major hassle. :bad: But as Primer said, it all depends on your FLD and how they choose to interpret the regs :roll:

Best of luck :good:
DVC
BaconButty

#4 Post by BaconButty »

Ok, so say the FEO says "I can't sign off on S1 shot (or slug) until you've completed PSG course" will that mean a ticket delay, or just that he wont give me that slot at all and I will need to put in for variation in the future?
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

BaconButty wrote:Ok, so say the FEO says "I can't sign off on S1 shot (or slug) until you've completed PSG course" will that mean a ticket delay, or just that he wont give me that slot at all and I will need to put in for variation in the future?
It'll be down to you. You can either hold off on everything until you've jumped through the requisite hoops, or just put a variation in for the shotgun at a later date. Some forces don't require it though, its just luck of the draw ****
DVC