Mil Surplus Ammo

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dahonis

Mil Surplus Ammo

#1 Post by Dahonis »

Hi,

Mil Surp ammo, I've seen a few website's selling the stuff....would I have to physically drive to these places to get it, or could it be done RFD.

It may sound stupid but I'm kinda new on this stuff, and living in the north-east is perhaps not the best place to hunt for cheap mil surp ammo.

Looking into re-loading 7.62 / 308 at some point.

Regards

Chris
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Mil Surplus Ammo

#2 Post by meles meles »

We collect historic battle rifles and use milsurp in all of them. It's authentic and it's (relatively) cheap. It's hard to justify paw loading ammunition for a Mosin Nagant or Krag Jorgensen when milsurp can be had for 30 p a shot or less. They wouldn't have had paw loaded ammo back in the trenches either...

We can recommend

http://www.ammo-zone.co.uk

http://www.itlshootingsupplies.co.uk

and it might be having a word with ovenpaa of this parish too...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
saddler

#3 Post by saddler »

Quite a few RFDs not too far from you

Try DROMIA

IF you did find a source that was further away, then YES, you WOULD have to drive to collect OR you could have the ammo sent from the selling RFD to a local RFD by COURIER...

OR

you can also have someone that is passing the seller & is authorised by dint of FAC/RFD to collect it for you

Go for the local sources first
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

It has to be done face to face to be entered on your ticket.

You can have ammunition sent to your RFD but the costs of transport are expensive especially for small amounts.

I carry very limited amounts of ammunition because of the lack of demand, but will try and get in to order. If I know what people want then I can keep an eye out for it

A lot of people handload for military calibres, it can be as cheap as military surplus however it usually can be made to shoot more accurately, if you do your bit it is far more consistent also you can tailor loads to give better zero at the shorter 100 - 300 yrds distances.

I almost exclusively shoot cast in my rifle now and have done so for many years, it is easy on the barrel, very accurate as you can tailor the boolit to the rifle and very cheap per bang if you don't factor in your time. In fact casting,handloading and load development is my hobby, I only shoot to cast and handload.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dahonis

#5 Post by Dahonis »

Thanks folks a good starting point for me.

Dromia would you e-mail me directions to your club please or is it at the address on your site...i.e is it easy to find ?, looking to come this Wednesday if that's ok.