Applying for my FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Applying for my FAC

#71 Post by 20series »

generally you need to have specific calibre, ie 7.62x51 or 7.62x54.

if you have only .223 listed on your fac ammo holding you may find that depending on the RFD they may not sell you 5.56

however there is bugger all surplus 5.56 kicking about so you'll probably be buying .223 anyway.

HTH
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
HALODIN

#72 Post by HALODIN »

Hi Alan,

Yes it does thanks. I had a chat with John@ORPC tonight and he thinks the missing 5.56 ammo is an oversight and that I wouldn't have been granted a .223/5.56mm rifle without the ability to buy 5.56mm ammo for it. So unless the RFD is being particularly strict, I should be OK. I will mention it to the FEO though.

Speaking about 7.62mm tonight, the general consensus seems to be I'm limited to NATO 7.62x51. No bother, if it becomes an issue I'll submit a variation, I don't think it will trip me up for a while.

Cheers,

Craig.
20series wrote:generally you need to have specific calibre, ie 7.62x51 or 7.62x54.

if you have only .223 listed on your fac ammo holding you may find that depending on the RFD they may not sell you 5.56

however there is bugger all surplus 5.56 kicking about so you'll probably be buying .223 anyway.

HTH
Alan
LeighC

#73 Post by LeighC »

I've got slots for .308 and 7.62 on my ticket for ammo, I've bought 7.62x54 for the SVD and 7.62x39 for the AK with no requirement from the RFD to be any more specific than '7.62'. All .308 or surplus 7.62 NATO has been listed as .308 however. The only possible fly in the ointment would be if I started loading hundreds of rounds of both 7.62 variants as I have a hold limit of 600 .308 and 600 7.62.
HALODIN

#74 Post by HALODIN »

Hi LeighC,

Interesting... Just curious, did you buy the 7.62 rifles privately or through an RDF?

Cheers,

Craig.
LeighC

#75 Post by LeighC »

I bought the SVD through an RFD and the AK was a private sale. On both occasions the spare slot was simply '7.62'. Twice I intended to buy a scoped Mosin, twice something else came along at a price that couldn't be ignored! Thinking back, when I put the variation in which led to the purchase of the SVD, I'm sure I requested .308/7.62 as my FEO told me that this would cover all eventualities. I was further advised that the only time I'd actually have to list the specific calibre is if/when I wanted to split my current '7.62' hold entitlement to be able to hold 600 of each 7.62x54 AND 7.62x39.

My FEO also mentioned that, in future, if I wanted to buy historic military stuff, then a slot for a .30 cal rifle would be acceptable for .303, .308. 7.62 (in all it's variants), 30-06, 7.5 (French MAS). The actual calibre taken by that slot would only be 'buttoned down' when the purchase was notified to the Police and updated on my FAC.

Whether that's across the board or just here in wonderful Wiltshire, I don't know, but if your FEO is half as helpful as mine, then a quick call or email to him will tell you all you need to know.
Mikaveli

#76 Post by Mikaveli »

LeighC wrote:I bought the SVD through an RFD and the AK was a private sale. On both occasions the spare slot was simply '7.62'. Twice I intended to buy a scoped Mosin, twice something else came along at a price that couldn't be ignored! Thinking back, when I put the variation in which led to the purchase of the SVD, I'm sure I requested .308/7.62 as my FEO told me that this would cover all eventualities. I was further advised that the only time I'd actually have to list the specific calibre is if/when I wanted to split my current '7.62' hold entitlement to be able to hold 600 of each 7.62x54 AND 7.62x39.

My FEO also mentioned that, in future, if I wanted to buy historic military stuff, then a slot for a .30 cal rifle would be acceptable for .303, .308. 7.62 (in all it's variants), 30-06, 7.5 (French MAS). The actual calibre taken by that slot would only be 'buttoned down' when the purchase was notified to the Police and updated on my FAC.

Whether that's across the board or just here in wonderful Wiltshire, I don't know, but if your FEO is half as helpful as mine, then a quick call or email to him will tell you all you need to know.
It does seem to vary between counties.

On another forum, a guy got a slot for .22 RF

Some RFD's wouldn't sell him anything, others assumed it meant .22 LR. There was loads of argument over whether it entitled him to buy WMR etc.

Personally, regardless of the rights or wrongs, it's easier for me and the RFD if it states exactly what you can buy, no arguments or ambiguity (I've gone for slots stating .22 LR, .223 / 5.56 and .308 / 7.62).
HALODIN

#77 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, that helps. I wonder if I could have got away with ".*" or ".[1-7]" on my FAC as kind of "catch all" for all calibres... :grin:

OK, I guess it varies between constabularies, I best give him a call and see how the land lies.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Craig.
Mikaveli

#78 Post by Mikaveli »

HALODIN wrote:Thanks for the detailed explanation, that helps. I wonder if I could have got away with ".*" or ".[1-7]" on my FAC as kind of "catch all" for all calibres... :grin:

OK, I guess it varies between constabularies, I best give him a call and see how the land lies.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Craig.
Yeah, I'll take all my slots in the following regex. fingerscrossed

Code: Select all

[0-9]*\.[0-9]+
HALODIN

#79 Post by HALODIN »

My FAC says .22RF. Just did a quick google and came up with this, not sure if it's true.

".22rf is a collective denotion for any .22 RimFire cartridge, e.g. .22 short, .22 long rifle, .22 WMR etc etc"
Mikaveli wrote:It does seem to vary between counties.

On another forum, a guy got a slot for .22 RF

Some RFD's wouldn't sell him anything, others assumed it meant .22 LR. There was loads of argument over whether it entitled him to buy WMR etc.

Personally, regardless of the rights or wrongs, it's easier for me and the RFD if it states exactly what you can buy, no arguments or ambiguity (I've gone for slots stating .22 LR, .223 / 5.56 and .308 / 7.62).
HALODIN

#80 Post by HALODIN »

:good:
Mikaveli wrote:Yeah, I'll take all my slots in the following regex. fingerscrossed

Code: Select all

[0-9]*\.[0-9]+