Child air rifle legislation

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

froggy

Child air rifle legislation

#1 Post by froggy »

Salut ,

I was thinking about getting a low-power break-barrel type air-rifle to teach the basics to an 8 years old boy at 10 meters ? I saw an old Webley & scott Junior that would seem to fit the bill but any idea for a more suitable air rifle are welcome.

But more important :

- What are the rules & regulations in the UK for this type of air-gun ?
- Can it be used legally in my "urban/inner-city" garden against a high wall (3 meters/10 feets) with a pellet-trap target holder
- Or it is restricted for club use ?

Many thanks for any info & advise.
$harp$hooter

Re: Child air rifle legislation

#2 Post by $harp$hooter »

As far as I'm aware for an 8 year old they can use the air gun with the supervision of someone aged 21 and over on private property as mentioned provided the pellet does not cross your boundary and that you are 50 yards from a public highway, however I may be wrong.

EDIT

"UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE

May not buy, hire, borrow or receive an airgun or ammunition for an air gun as a gift.

Parents wishing to buy airguns for persons under 14 years old must NEVER allow them to be in possession of the airgun or ammunition for it unsupervised, even when it is not in use.

Under these circumstances the young person can use the airgun under the supervision of someone of or over 21 years of age, on private premises with appropriate permission.

If a pellet goes outside these premises onto someone else’s property both the youngster and the adult supervisor commit an offence."

Source:

http://www.drpc.org.uk/?page_id=22
Individual

#3 Post by Individual »

$harp$hooter wrote:As far as I'm aware for an 8 year old they can use the air gun with the supervision of someone aged 21 and over on private property as mentioned provided the pellet does not cross your boundary and that you are 50 yards from a public highway, however I may be wrong.
Doesn't 'the 50 yards from a public highway' rule out most normal gardens?
Except for the very remote and the very wealthy of course.

Does 50 yards apply to whole of the pellet's trajectory? Can I be less than 50 yards away if my house is between me and the highway?
Is it line of sight 50 yards?

I've never been sure how to apply that rule. sign85
Gaz

#4 Post by Gaz »

At work so can't spend time digging up the reference (Wildlife and Countryside Act 81 rings a bell) but the 50yds-from-centreline-of-highway prohibition only applies if you cause "alarm or distress" to users of that highway.
froggy

#5 Post by froggy »

Re-

Many thanks to you all for your replies.
The high wall is the back of my small garden. Behind that wall there is a rather large private gated car park.

I very much appreciate your input as, should I go ahead , I intended to informed my neighbours but also my firearm officer in case an unknown neighbour would question the noise of pellets hitting the target-trap and make a complain. So a little back-ground info is always usefull. :good:
JonC

#6 Post by JonC »

Its 50 feet not yards.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#7 Post by hitchphil »

froggy wrote: Re-

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

The high wall is the back of my small garden. Behind that wall there is a rather large private gated car park.

I very much appreciate your input as, should I go ahead I intended to informed my neighbours but also my firearm officer in case an unknown neighbour would question the noise of pellets hitting the target-trap and make a complain. So a little back-ground info is always usefull. :good:
Why inform them? if they are firends by all means, but if not why bother & invite the ignorant on 'firearms' to 'object'?

Poss protect yoruself use a specific type of pellet (177 - flat target one not a domed ponty one?) & keep some so if somebody turns up with a pointy pellet you can argue not from your rifle.

Best to do it indoors - I teach my kids in the garage at 5.5 yds - sheet of ply & carpet on the garage door & a pellet trap & light, that way we invite no interference from idiots edukated by the tabloid press.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
froggy

#8 Post by froggy »

re-

That is what my father does, unfortunatly I do not have a garage.
Not only I would tell my neighbours but I would also invite them to have a try and have a cup of tea or a glass of wine after. :good:
ovenpaa

#9 Post by ovenpaa »

A plinking session with the neighbours sounds like a good plan. I have just been offered a Webley Hurricane which will be prefect for plinking flower pots in the back garden on a Sunday morning.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mr_Logic

#10 Post by Mr_Logic »

Please, do not hide away like a criminal. Shooting is good fun, it's legal, so why hide it? If noise annoys them, find a compromise - do they never make noise which annoys you?