Poor man's scout rifle concept

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

londonercsecse

Poor man's scout rifle concept

#1 Post by londonercsecse »

Is anyone familiar with this, any advice on it?
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

Re: Poor man's scout rifle concept

#2 Post by DanTheMan »

I have forward mounted an Aimpoint on my M44 Nagant and that's been devastating on ETR targets, it's about as budget "scout" as you can get, will post a photo later. I think the criteria are light, short with a forward mounted low power scope, if you have the budget then the Ruger Scout is really good.
londonercsecse

#3 Post by londonercsecse »

DanTheMan wrote:I have forward mounted an Aimpoint on my M44 Nagant and that's been devastating on ETR targets, it's about as budget "scout" as you can get, will post a photo later. I think the criteria are light, short with a forward mounted low power scope, if you have the budget then the Ruger Scout is really good.
Future plan for me, maybe a Lee-Enfield.
saddler

#4 Post by saddler »

An IDEAL donor rifle would be a Swede M38 carbine

The ONLY negative point I can make on the original Jeff Cooper concept was his adhering to the caliber....insisiting it must be 308.

I'd prefer 6.5x55 or 6.8x43...possibly the latter for most social distance work

XS Sights in the USA make a really nice Scout Rail that is offered in a few variations....I have one of them on my Winchester 94.
ovenpaa

#5 Post by ovenpaa »

I was lucky enough to aquire an Ishapore 7,62x51 from Sandgroper of this forum last year. It came with a shortened barrel, synthetic stock and 12 shot magazine and is *the* perfect poor man's scout rifle, Mark Bradly dropped off a new black M1 sling for it at the Phoenix so I need some swivels to suit now and fit the L1A1 flash hider which is probably going to involve shortening the barrel back a bit. I am struggling a bit with my current long eye relief scope so on the look for something a bit different in the 4-6x range.

The good news is it will happily shoot 147 grain 7,62x51 all day and is nice and compact.

Here it is in all it's splendour (Viewer discretion advised)

P10102731.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
londonercsecse

#6 Post by londonercsecse »

saddler wrote:An IDEAL donor rifle would be a Swede M38 carbine

The ONLY negative point I can make on the original Jeff Cooper concept was his adhering to the caliber....insisiting it must be 308.

XS Sights in the USA make a really nice Scout Rail that is offered in a few variations....I have one of them on my Winchester 94.
308 is most common caliber in UK, so in a TEOTWAWKI situation it would be better.
londonercsecse

#7 Post by londonercsecse »

ovenpaa wrote:I was lucky enough to aquire an Ishapore 7,62x51 from Sandgroper of this forum last year. It came with a shortened barrel, synthetic stock and 12 shot magazine and is *the* perfect poor man's scout rifle, Mark Bradly dropped off a new black M1 sling for it at the Phoenix so I need some swivels to suit now and fit the L1A1 flash hider which is probably going to involve shortening the barrel back a bit. I am struggling a bit with my current long eye relief scope so on the look for something a bit different in the 4-6x range.

The good news is it will happily shoot 147 grain 7,62x51 all day and is nice and compact.

Here it is in all it's splendour (Viewer discretion advised)

P10102731.jpg
Very nice!
saddler

#8 Post by saddler »

londonercsecse wrote:
saddler wrote:An IDEAL donor rifle would be a Swede M38 carbine

308 is most common caliber in UK, so in a TEOTWAWKI situation it would be better.
....and here's me thinking .22lr was more popular than 308 tongueout
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#9 Post by DanTheMan »

Nagant M44 Scout

ovenpaa

#10 Post by ovenpaa »

DTM what is the 'scope?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal