Shooting Tips

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Matt

Re: Shooting Tips

#11 Post by Matt »

Some great info from all above :goodjob:

Can you give us some details of what you are shooting and how much improvement in accuracy you've had as you've progressed......?

It would be interesting to find out the following

What rifle, calibre and roughly how many rounds its had through it?
What distance are you mainly shooting at to measure your accuracy?
What components are you using in your reloads?
Cleaning regime?
Just how accurate you are now, group size etc and at what distance?

All the above would be good to find out

O:-)
HALODIN

#12 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for all the tips gents. I've specifically hit my limit target shooting with my Anschutz Match 54 .22 @ 100 yards, bagged at both ends, light wind with a Sightmark 8.5-25x50 scope. I'm shooting RWS match gold ammo, which I'm told is just about as good as it gets. If there's any other low velocity match ammo that will beat it, let me know.

It groups (50 shots) around 4", sometimes it's perfect (< .25 MOA) and sometimes it's not. Apart from canting, which I dare say I am doing to some degree, I do wonder whether parallax could be partly to blame. Even with the image as clear as is possible, there is still movement in the cross hair if I move my head around. I talked about it with one of the RCO's at the range last week and he said that zero parallax and a crystal clear picture should exist at the same point on a good scope, but on cheaper scopes both may exist at different points. I guess I should stick something to the stock so I have consistent eye relief and position, to help eliminate movement. It just seems that something a bit random is happening and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
ovenpaa

#13 Post by ovenpaa »

The 50 shot groups, are they a uniform spread or more biased vertically or horizontally? If you are unsure take a shot target, divide into quarters and count the holes.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HALODIN

#14 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't save my targets from yesterday, but from memory they were mainly concentrated to the lower left quarter. As I'm right handed this lead me to believe canting could possibly be part of the problem. I might go again tomorrow morning and upload a picture of the target, so you can see what I mean.
John MH

#15 Post by John MH »

If they are all grouping in the same place, lower left quarter, why not just alter your sights. Your POI will be different for different shooting positions.
HALODIN

#16 Post by HALODIN »

That's the thing, they're grouping in a much wider pattern than I'd hoped for, it's just the majority seem to be lower left.
John MH wrote:If they are all grouping in the same place, lower left quarter, why not just alter your sights. Your POI will be different for different shooting positions.
Dougan

#17 Post by Dougan »

I've been having a dabble at long range shooting with my Anschutz 54, and am also using a relatively cheep scope - Not getting the eye relief and/or position correct and consistent can definitely make a few inches difference at 100 yards...

...also you said 'light wind'?...I've been amazed the difference the wind makes with .22 at 100 yards and beyond - Especially with vertical movement... e.g. a moderate wind coming towards you from 1/2 O'clock could easily push the bullet to the low left a couple of inches...

As for ammo - What you're using is good...RWS R50 is also well regarded.
Dave 101

#18 Post by Dave 101 »

Have you checked trigger hand position , as this is a place where pressure is applied to the gun it is easy to see , or should that be feel where the pressure is being applied either in the palm of the hand or the finger tips , try it and see how little pressure needs to be applied by either to cause the rifle to cant , from knowing where the error lies is the starting point to rectifying it by applying the opposing pressure .

Dave
HALODIN

#19 Post by HALODIN »

Yes I agree with your first point, I suppose as long as your position is consistent it doesn't matter where it is, you'd just zero your scope accordingly. What do people use on their stocks to guarantee consistent cheek weld?

That's interesting. Wind flags were mentioned the other day, but apart from seeing which way the wind is coming, I'm not sure how you read it's speed, unless certain flags of a certain weight only flap around under certain wind conditions.

RWS R50 was mentioned as well, I believe it was termed the Gucci of .22 match ammo. I'll probably try some of that next. What grouping are you getting @ 100 yards with your Anschutz?
Dougan wrote:I've been having a dabble at long range shooting with my Anschutz 54, and am also using a relatively cheep scope - Not getting the eye relief and/or position correct and consistent can definitely make a few inches difference at 100 yards...

...also you said 'light wind'?...I've been amazed the difference the wind makes with .22 at 100 yards and beyond - Especially with vertical movement... e.g. a moderate wind coming towards you from 1/2 O'clock could easily push the bullet to the low left a couple of inches...

As for ammo - What you're using is good...RWS R50 is also well regarded.
HALODIN

#20 Post by HALODIN »

I don't think I'm doing it at the time of pulling the trigger, but of course what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing can be 2 completely different things. I'll try and keep an eye on myself tomorrow and check that I'm not applying any lateral pressure to cant the rifle. Progress report to follow tomorrow!

Cheers,

Craig.
Dave 101 wrote:Have you checked trigger hand position , as this is a place where pressure is applied to the gun it is easy to see , or should that be feel where the pressure is being applied either in the palm of the hand or the finger tips , try it and see how little pressure needs to be applied by either to cause the rifle to cant , from knowing where the error lies is the starting point to rectifying it by applying the opposing pressure .

Dave