The wait begins

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

knewmans

Re: The wait begins

#11 Post by knewmans »

sign85 Having been all smug in another thread about how well this was going I've hit a bump.

Spoke to the FEO today. Although he's happy that I have good reason for my list of 6 his boss isn't. He wants me to cut down to 4.

FEO feels I have 2 options
1) Lose 2 from my list and put in a variation later
2) Argue my case with the possibility that the FAC could be partially refused.

Has anyone been in this position and what did you do?

What other argument would I have to persuade the Met to grant all 6 if the FEO is already happy that I have good reason?

I don't particularly want to delay the process and the 1st option seems the easiest if not ideal. Its unlikely I will buy 6 immediately. FEO suggested I drop 2 unwillingly and ask for a commitment that the variation would be free. Not sure if that possibility exists.

7.62/.308 with moderator - Savage BVSS
5.56/.223 with moderator - not sure yet but not black
7.62x54R - Mosin
.38/.357 - Marlin
.22 - semi auto not sure what yet
.22 - something for 25yd prone

The .22s would be on the immediate list for my local smallbore club. The Marlin I could also use there but was probably last on the list and a candidate to drop.

The Savage BVSS was also an immediate. The problem is there aren't any available although Stuart of Osprey is looking at options for me. I know there are other .308s I could choose but I'd sort of set my mind on the BVSS. I was hoping not to buy something I would have to change about a lot or as a temporary solution. So this is a keeper for the list but a slot which is looking difficult to fill. The BVSS would allow me to begin to shoot F/TR and might slide under the S-Class limit and be generally pleasant. This leaves me without a gun for Bisley to shoot at the longer ranges. I would have thought a .223 could fill this gap to 600ish yards and I was thinking of a CZ 527 varmint laminate. Or if he wants me to chop something out change the .223 to something like 6.5x55 which could still have the legs for Stickledown for fun but not F/TR and may be something for S-Class. Might find something pretty.

The Mosin - cheap to buy and feed and a piece of history. It would be a shame to lose it but not an immediate need.

sign01
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

From what I understand, you've shown good reason so there are no grounds to refuse, but a second opinion would be advisable from whichever shooting organisation you're member of...
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
ovenpaa

#13 Post by ovenpaa »

Loose two, gain your FAC now and have fun, then apply for two more later.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GRSporth1

#14 Post by GRSporth1 »

ovenpaa wrote:Loose two, gain your FAC now and have fun, then apply for two more later.
Seconded - make your application "easy to approve". Thats what I did & then added 3 more on the 1st variation.

If it were me, I would keep the .308, .223, Marlin & a .22 - that gives you immediate access to most shooting disciplines.
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

GRSporth1 wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:Loose two, gain your FAC now and have fun, then apply for two more later.
Seconded - make your application "easy to approve". Thats what I did & then added 3 more on the 1st variation.

If it were me, I would keep the .308, .223, Marlin & a .22 - that gives you immediate access to most shooting disciplines.
I don't see why he should - he has said he has good reason to which his FEO agrees. It's the FEO's boss who is saying no, that's why I think he needs advice/intervention from a shooting body - be it BASC, NRA or another.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Sandgroper wrote:
I don't see why he should - he has said he has good reason to which his FEO agrees. It's the FEO's boss who is saying no, that's why I think he needs advice/intervention from a shooting body - be it BASC, NRA or another.

Concur.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
knewmans

#17 Post by knewmans »

I have spoken to Iain and am going forward with a solution I can work with. I'll let you know how it goes.
knewmans

#18 Post by knewmans »

FAC arrived today. Dropped 2 guns but plenty to be getting on with. Time to polish the credit card.