Which tactical rifles - rimfire and centre fire ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Kho

Which tactical rifles - rimfire and centre fire ?

#1 Post by Kho »

Hello Guys,

Looking for some advice on rifles for both .22 and something larger maybe 5.56 or 7.62.

Ideally they will both be tactical, I prefer the feel and balance of that type.

I have in mind the S&W 15-22 - it seems to get the better write up for Assault rifle style .22 and its the closets to a full copy of the M4 for operation.

For a larger rifle I'm a little lost. If I had to choose I'd have a bolt action M16 but it seems a bit f a waste of such a good platform to stick a bolt in it. Any suggestions out there?

Many thanks
Kho
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: Which tactical rifles - rimfire and centre fire ?

#2 Post by Mike357 »

CMMG for your 22. For a bigger calibre ( assume you mean straight pull rather than bolt action?) I'd go for a Lantac competition AR.

You could spend a lot more of course?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Kho

#3 Post by Kho »

Thanks for your post mate.

I haven't come across th LANTAC kit yet so thanks for that. Yes, I do mean straight pull.

First of all what mad Roy's choose the CMMG .22 over the likes of a S&W 15/22 ? Or the Colt M4 .22?

I really like the .223 kit LANTAC have, they're very nice. I wouldn't say money is no option but I could spend what I want. That said spending £5k on a rifle is out of the question as I just wouldn't get the use out of it.

Thanks

bangbang
ovenpaa

#4 Post by ovenpaa »

What about a .223 black gun with an optional .22LR upper so you have the 'best' of both worlds.

I have a Speedmaster which has a Wylde chamber, this means it safely shoots 5,56x45 + .223 + will accept long loaded .223 if I want and by pushing two pins out I can swap to a .22LR upper which enables me to take advantage of cheaper ammunition plus it becomes a semi-auto.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
SevenSixTwo

#5 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Spikes tactical 16" LE .223 + 22LR upper. Job's a good 'un.
froggy

#6 Post by froggy »

Salut ,

It comes down to your budget and what you need from your rifle. As far as the "AR type" 22 lr are concerned, you identified a good option. There is also the CMMG.

CMMG is a M4 with a 22lr upper , so it is exactly the same weight, operating mode etc ... making it a good tool for drilling . The problem is that , beside the difference of recoil of course, in practice the BHOA (Bolt Hold Open Actuator) is far from working 100% . When it works its great but the bolt can close on last round meaning that on stopage you can not visualy ID an empty mag . The bolt can also stay open and then close when removing the mag. This means that on speed-reload drill it denies you the option of using the ping-pong padle and forces the use of the charging handle.
Also the CMMG is terribly expensive for a mere 22lr as it doubles its price to cross the pond but as far as I know you can slap a 223 uper on your "22Lr lower", so you are kinda buying 1 1/2 rifle.

The S&W on the other hand is purely a 22 lr aiming to replicate the AR . It is made of polymer so it is a little bit lighter but in practical/usage terms is the only difference. It does it all like a AR and it is very reliable, works all the time as it should . It is also so much much cheaper & also has a pica-thingy quad-rail built-in that the CMMG does not and that, should you need it , or think you need it , will have to buy extra. Every single owner of SW 15-22 I know rave about them . I tried couple of them and to drill the functions of a Semi-Auto AR there are brilliant !!

Both will give you hours of fun & a big smile on your face :good:

M16 but it seems a bit f a waste of such a good platform to stick a bolt in it
Cant agree more ...
techguy

#7 Post by techguy »

For a .22, I would go with a 15-22 (I have one, it's great!) It was designed as a .22 in an AR package and not a conversion like many on the market. Plus its a boat load cheaper than any CMMG, Spikes, Lantac etc.

For a .223 I would go for a Bradley Arms, or a Lantac depending on availability. Both are supreme rifles, both have great after sales support.
Apphelia

#8 Post by Apphelia »

How about a nice straight-pull Saiga?

Black - check
Tactical - check
Rugged as hell - check
ovenpaa

#9 Post by ovenpaa »

I remember shooting a McQueen with Doz of this forum, he was running a straight pull 7,62x39 in torrential rain, the water was pouring out of the barrel like a hose pipe had been stuffed in the ejector port. He just grinned and kept on shooting and the rifle never missed a beat tongueout

I was impressed.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
froggy

#10 Post by froggy »

Spasibo tovarich Michael !