Which tactical rifles - rimfire and centre fire ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Apphelia

Re: Which tactical rifles - rimfire and centre fire ?

#11 Post by Apphelia »

ovenpaa wrote:I remember shooting a McQueen with Doz of this forum, he was running a straight pull 7,62x39 in torrential rain, the water was pouring out of the barrel like a hose pipe had been stuffed in the ejector port. He just grinned and kept on shooting and the rifle never missed a beat tongueout

I was impressed.
You mean like this?...
Kho

#12 Post by Kho »

ovenpaa wrote:What about a .223 black gun with an optional .22LR upper so you have the 'best' of both worlds.

I have a Speedmaster which has a Wylde chamber, this means it safely shoots 5,56x45 + .223 + will accept long loaded .223 if I want and by pushing two pins out I can swap to a .22LR upper which enables me to take advantage of cheaper ammunition plus it becomes a semi-auto.
Hi Ovenpaa - thanks alot for your reply mate, means alot. Cheers.

That's a good idea, I hadn't considered it but now I have I am slightly concerned about how it would function. Are there any issues switching between the two?

Would it be better having a dedicated rifle for each? I don't mind sending the cash and it might make life more simple?

As for the other recommendations - thanks again. From my research the S&W 15/22 came out on top. I do like the LANTAC kit but it is steep for a .22. As for the .223 and .303 well, I think they would be great rifles and I will take a trip up to see them before I purchased.

I suppose the other option is a consideration of optics! What do you guys run?

Cheers all - thanks for the warm welcome and helpful posts.

sign92 :cheers:
froggy

#13 Post by froggy »

Re-

Swapping uppers is a matter of seconds . IMO the main benefit of having one lower and two uppers 22lr & 223R is that in both cases you train with exactly the same trigger.

Optics choice will depend on the type of shooting you are doing . ACOG, if in budget, are very good all rounders. They are equally suitable for taking a well aimed 200/300 meters shot as with engaging multiple targets at 10 meters, but good at all trades also means master of none . If you do dynamic shooting an eotech is great. You can also buy a second hand first generation for little money.
I dont know about scopes.
HALODIN

#14 Post by HALODIN »

Definitely consider a Spikes Tactical (.22 + .223), I really like them, especially if you throw on a BAR or SAR rail. I consider them pretty good value for money as well. You need to speak to Wayne @ Northwest Custom Parts as he's the sole distributor in the UK. They also offer the Lewis Machine Tools LM223SS (.223 + optional .22 bolt) and LM7's (.308). I have nothing but praise for NWCP, he's provided a great service to me and he's been extremely helpful on a number of matters.

I feel your tactical pain... :grin:
Kho

#15 Post by Kho »

froggy wrote:Re-

Swapping uppers is a matter of seconds . IMO the main benefit of having one lower and two uppers 22lr & 223R is that in both cases you train with exactly the same trigger.

Optics choice will depend on the type of shooting you are doing . ACOG, if in budget, are very good all rounders. They are equally suitable for taking a well aimed 200/300 meters shot as with engaging multiple targets at 10 meters, but good at all trades also means master of none . If you do dynamic shooting an eotech is great. You can also buy a second hand first generation for little money.
I dont know about scopes.
Cheers Froggy. I will look in to the optics in greater detail.

As for the upper and lowers - I will have a look in to options for that. Which .22 upper etc but thanks for your help, very helpful!
tkd67

#16 Post by tkd67 »

Apphelia wrote:How about a nice straight-pull Saiga?

Black - check
Tactical - check
Rugged as hell - check

Cheap - check clapclap
UKYankee

#17 Post by UKYankee »

I chose a S&W 15-22 for the .22 AR as it was as close to a 'proper' AR15 as I wanted to pay for a .22 rifle. You can spend a bucket load on one and, if I had that sort of cash I'd definately have to go for a Lantac Raven.

In regards to the .223, I went for a Lantac TCR straight pull and it's flippin fantastic. Can't fault Paul or the build quality of the rifle. If you're interested in an LMT (Lewis Machine Tool) then also check out East Midlands here http://www.emrr.org.uk/ as they have them listed for £1840 which seems really good value.

Dave