Section 7 Pistols

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

saddler

Re: Section 7 Pistols

#11 Post by saddler »

HBSA membership may be a way to proceed too...
HeatherW762

#12 Post by HeatherW762 »

Hi,

One bit of info that everyone seems to have missed is that you are 16 years old. You cannot have your own FAC to carry and posess your own firearms until you are 18 I'm afraid.

Heather
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

[quoteOne bit of info that everyone seems to have missed is that you are 16 years old. You cannot have your own FAC to carry and posess your own firearms until you are 18 I'm afraid.

Heather
][/quote]

There is nothing stopping a 16 year old applying for a certificate if he is under 17 then he needs his application signing by a parent or gaurdian.If he was 17 then he would be able to apply in his own right.
It is then up to the licencing authority to decide if he has good cause. I would suggest that if he is serious about applying he should be looking to become a member of a local shooting club.
HeatherW762

#14 Post by HeatherW762 »

I did check with Surrey Police first. You are aware that the rules changed earlier this year (July I think) however you can have one to use if, for example, your father has a license & you can use his rifle.

Heather
Stephen

#15 Post by Stephen »

Buckshot wrote:My question is: where do I go from here in order to try and obtain section 7(1) authority? Thanks.
I thought that I would resurrect this old thread to enquire whether Alex got anywhere in his quest for section 7 pistols. I live in Kent and have many pistols and revolvers held on my FAC under the provisions of section 7. I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
Stephen

#16 Post by Stephen »

Tower75 wrote:Again, as above, you're gonna need to get yourself a FAC first, and as stupid and mad as this sounds, I can feel that the police would be a bit funny about granting a "new-shooter" a Section 7 licence.
Not necessarily. I got the grant of my firearms certificate in 2004 with a Colt 1911 semi-automatic pistol, that I keep at home without ammunition as a collector's item. But I did already have a substantial collection of antique firearms to lend credibility to my claims to be pistol collector - such as Colt and S&W revolvers in obsolete calibres. It took my FEO about five minutes to say "you are obviously a genuine collector and I will be approving your application".

If Alex already has a collection of deacts and can talk knowledgeably about his collecting interests then he should not have any problems in getting s7 status.
ordnance

#17 Post by ordnance »

Not necessarily. I got the grant of my firearms certificate in 2004 with a Colt 1911 semi-automatic pistol, that I keep at home without ammunition as a collector's item.
I didn't know that you could get a 1911 as a collectors item as the .45 calibre ammo is readily available, maybe I have read the legislation wrong.

The Firearms (Amendment) Act of 1997 (FAA97) placed most cartridge pistols into Section 5 of the 1968 Firearm Act, i.e. they became prohibited weapons requiring approval of the Home Secretary for possession. However, a number of exceptions were created, one of these covered Firearms of Historic Interest. Section 7 of the FAA97 addresses Firearms of Historic Interest; it splits them into two separate groups of pistols as follows:

Section 7(1): Pistols kept in this category may be possessed on a firearm certificate and can be kept at home. They are to be kept only as part of a collection and may not be fired.

To be eligible for 7(1) the pistol must have been made before January 1st 1919 and chambered in a cartridge that is not readily available.

Readily available cartridges are defined in law as:

.22 rimfire
.25 ACP
.25-20
.32 ACP
.32-20
.32 S&W Long
7.62 Tokarev
.38-40
.380 Auto
9mm Parabellum
.38 S&W
.38 Special
.380 British Service
.44 Special
.44-40
.45 ACP
.45 Colt
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#18 Post by BestDrugDoc »

.357 magnum?

or were no pistols chambered for that before that date?
ordnance

#19 Post by ordnance »

.357 magnum?

or were no pistols chambered for that before that date
The .357 S&W Magnum (9x33mmR), or simply .357 Magnum, is a revolver cartridge created by Elmer Keith, Phillip B. Sharpe, and Colonel D. B. Wesson of firearms manufacturer Smith & Wesson, and Winchester. It is based upon Smith & Wesson's earlier .38 Special cartridge. The .357 Magnum cartridge was introduced in 1934, and its use has since become widespread. This cartridge started the "Magnum" era of handgun ammunition. The .357 Magnum cartridge has a positive reputation for stopping power.

Section 7(1): Pistols kept in this category may be possessed on a firearm certificate and can be kept at home. They are to be kept only as part of a collection and may not be fired.

To be eligible for 7(1) the pistol must have been made before January 1st 1919 and chambered in a cartridge that is not readily available.
Last edited by ordnance on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#20 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Thanks for the info. Its to do with the date then.