help finding a scope...

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

help finding a scope...

#1 Post by the running man »

Morning all, can some make some suggestions or post some links for me, im after a high mag scope, preferably side paralax, but as compact as poss, and yes of course I like everyone else want to part with as little of my cash as poss! Im requiring min 24x no maximum...44 obj lens min... any???? sign85
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
ovenpaa

Re: help finding a scope...

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

What about one of the Sightron range of 'scopes, or the Fox F Class type 'scope which is around the GBP110 mark new.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
judders

#3 Post by judders »

Another vote for Sightron. Great scopes and not ridiculously expensive. They're not particularly compact though. I have one of these on my .308: http://aimfieldsports.com/epages/www_ai ... 32x56LRMOA

I also have one of these, which is very compact for the spec, sits on my AR and has received many compliments from fellow shooters:
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle- ... mm-mil-dot
Maggot

#4 Post by Maggot »

MTC optics to a good range of less expensive scopes that work well.

I don't know much about Foxy's but I have heard both good and bad.

Otherwise I would say low end higher performance long range scopes start with Sightron.

Not cheap, but with a lifetime warranty they are superb value for money.

Russell Simmonds won the worlds with one and I love mine.

The problem is that once you start shooting with the better glass, you compare everything else with it, which si not really fair to be honest.

Rifles come and go, good glass is an investment and a keeper.

I am going to a March next year (when I can bloody well afford it!!!) but will be keeping the cherished Sightron because it works.
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

This question comes up again and again............

Most cheap scopes (under £500) are Chinese. Most Chinese scopes are 'useable' but, it's frightening to see what some dealers charge for the same Chinese scope.

Brian Fox charges what they are worth - around £110 for an 8-32. You will find the same scope on sale for up to £495! Good luck if you can get it! For a new shooter who just can't envisage paying more for a scope than his rifle, the Fox scope will get you shooting. But, don't go thinking you've bought a March for £110!

If you want to rise above the Chinese offerings, then Sightron probably offer the best value - around £800 for an 8-32. Better still, the UK importer John Dean of Aimfield Sports is a shooter himself and a really nice guy to deal with.

If Sightron is too 'mainstream' then look at Nightforce and March. If weight isn't a problem, Schmidt & Bender. And, Leupold had a new high mag. variable at Raton...................

But, none of 'em will make you shoot better than you will with a Sightron.
Maggot

#6 Post by Maggot »

The Gun Pimp wrote:This question comes up again and again............

Most cheap scopes (under £500) are Chinese. Most Chinese scopes are 'useable' but, it's frightening to see what some dealers charge for the same Chinese scope.

Brian Fox charges what they are worth - around £110 for an 8-32. You will find the same scope on sale for up to £495! Good luck if you can get it! For a new shooter who just can't envisage paying more for a scope than his rifle, the Fox scope will get you shooting. But, don't go thinking you've bought a March for £110!

If you want to rise above the Chinese offerings, then Sightron probably offer the best value - around £800 for an 8-32. Better still, the UK importer John Dean of Aimfield Sports is a shooter himself and a really nice guy to deal with.

If Sightron is too 'mainstream' then look at Nightforce and March. If weight isn't a problem, Schmidt & Bender. And, Leupold had a new high mag. variable at Raton...................

But, none of 'em will make you shoot better than you will with a Sightron.
Very fair.

The difference between the capability of my old M67 (cost me £100) I started in F/TR with was staggering between a "well known Chinese scope" and the Sightron.

I never did particularly well, then put the 8-32 on and got a 48.2....so went and bought a Dolphin to compliment the scope.

The reason I want a March is pure indulgence really, it also means I can put the Sigtron back on the Konnie and have another capable trainer/all purpose rifle.

Its not really how it looks, but how it shoots that matters. Crap glass, instant head/eye ache, poor shot placement, poor tracking (vital the ret tracks well for anything F as you know).

Can I afford it? In reality not easily no, but I don't smoke, hardly drink, kids have gone and wife works as well.

We don't do holidays so as wifey says, "Make the most of it".

I don't really see how you know your rifle is performing with unreliable glass.

many bang on about "This image is better than that image" but I work in optics and worked in projection for years so this is by and large crap.

The "ONLY" way to tell is try one, ideally for a reasonable amount of time, across conditions and see how you feel.

All a scope does (optically) is enhance your natural vision (which is different between us all) so reviews and various charts are subjective and only really valid to the reviewer for personal comparison.

When setting a projector up we always got the customer to "OK" the image when we were finished.

Mechanical considerations however need to be the very best you can afford, particularly if you want to shoot anything that requires elevation and windage changes.

This needs to be predictable, repeatable, precise and above all reliable.

You might get away with an MOA not quite being an MOA, but you wont get away with the ret jumping about or tracking left as well as up when all you want to do is go up.

Like I say, the wisdom used to be that rifles can come and go, good glass is guarded jealously.

This is born out by the readiness of the likes of John Dean to unquestioningly send my Sightron back to the states for a service when I suspected it was shifting POI....me entirely (although to be fair it did have some debris inside).

John accepted my thanks and apology rather well I thought, top man.

Also, look at what you are paying for, Sightron offer lifetime warranty. March is 5 years (IIRC) I don't know about IOR, S&B or Niteforce, but I doubt they are much different.

It comes down to expectations unlimately
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#7 Post by shugie »

Been very pleased with the two Sightron scopes I have, might yet buy another if I keep my Steyr, which currently has a Hawke on it. It's not a bad scope, but the Sightrons are both much clearer.
Careful now/that sort of thing
phaedra1106

#8 Post by phaedra1106 »

Only slight niggle I have with my SIII 8-32 is chromatic aberration. There can be a slight yellow/purple fringing on vertical and horizontal straight lines under very strong sunlight. It's a known problem but not enough of a one to stop me buying another next visit to the US.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
ovenpaa

#9 Post by ovenpaa »

Out of interest if the items you buy from the USA were to fail for any reason what would you do, send them back to the USA for repair/replacement?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
phaedra1106

#10 Post by phaedra1106 »

As far as I know all Sightron scopes go back to Sightron in the US for warranty work/replacement.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)