Rossi Underlver .38/.357 Loading Gate Issue

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Individual

Re: Rossi Underlver .38/.357 Loading Gate Issue

#11 Post by Individual »

Demonic69 wrote:Are you loading with the lever open or closed? Some only like the lever open from what I've read.
Never heard that before any????
Action has to be closed or the lifter blocks the loading gate.
Demonic69

#12 Post by Demonic69 »

It may not be the same for the rossi but I've def seen a YouTube vid and read an article about one such lever action, I'll see if I can dig it out
Demonic69

#13 Post by Demonic69 »

Is the lifter not engaged when the action is closed?
Individual

#14 Post by Individual »

Demonic69 wrote:Is the lifter not engaged when the action is closed?
Well..no. The lifter 'lifts' when the lever is moved forward and action is open. When the action is closed the lifter sits flat in the receiver floor, parallel to the magazine to admit another cartridge and/or a allow a cartridge to be inserted into the action via the loading gate.

On a Marlin or Rossi or Winchester that's what happens..well kinda. Other LAs may work differently.…
Grinder

#15 Post by Grinder »

After studying Trey Walls you tube video on stripping and assembling a Rossi, I today took up the challenge.

I have to say whilst the ejector was fiddly to reassemble and the left hand cartridge guide, the rest was quite easy!

The loading gate has reassembled in a slightly depressed position where before it was almost proud of the receiver, I have to say that somebody who was terrified of stripping it must have owned it before, it was absoloutley filthy! especially around the breach and cartridge guides.

The claw on the cartridge guide seems worn so part of my issue may be caused by cartridges beiv pushed back out the mag, looks like a replacement could be in order!.

Thanks again for everyones comments and input ;-)

Demonica you cant load a Rossi with the lever open, the lower cartridge guide blocks access.

Shugie would you be willing to share details of your contact in texas?, I shall gef hold of p/n 20 off that drawing as its not difficult to replace.

Regards to all,

Matt.
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#16 Post by shugie »

Grinder wrote:After studying Trey Walls you tube video on stripping and assembling a Rossi, I today took up the challenge.

I have to say whilst the ejector was fiddly to reassemble and the left hand cartridge guide, the rest was quite easy!

The loading gate has reassembled in a slightly depressed position where before it was almost proud of the receiver, I have to say that somebody who was terrified of stripping it must have owned it before, it was absoloutley filthy! especially around the breach and cartridge guides.

The claw on the cartridge guide seems worn so part of my issue may be caused by cartridges beiv pushed back out the mag, looks like a replacement could be in order!.

Thanks again for everyones comments and input ;-)

Demonica you cant load a Rossi with the lever open, the lower cartridge guide blocks access.

Shugie would you be willing to share details of your contact in texas?, I shall gef hold of p/n 20 off that drawing as its not difficult to replace.

Regards to all,

Matt.
http://stevesgunz.com/ is the place, the owner is not that much of an email user, but he seems to know his stuff.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Grinder

#17 Post by Grinder »

Thanks Shugie, much obliged :-)
Rburro2

#18 Post by Rburro2 »

Grinder wrote:Hi all,

First day out today, with my Rossi. Extremely pleased with it 20" Barrel in Stainless Finish. However I am having a problem feeding through the Feed Gate, it appears that the round fed is being pushed back behind the gate making it impossible to feed the next round.

I say 'appears' as its hard to see what is going on exactly, Maybe it is something I am doing wrong or perhaps there is something mechanical not operating correctly.

Would be sincerely obliged if anyone has any experience with the same issue and maybe some pointers to go next.

Thanks in anticipation,

Matt.

ttiuwp