Wanted - 7.62x54R Dummy/Practice Rounds

Anything shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Demonic69

Wanted - 7.62x54R Dummy/Practice Rounds

#1 Post by Demonic69 »

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if someone could help me with 10-15 dummy rounds for a Mosin for drills and project use. Any case material would be fine, fired primers left in would be ideal so they maintain correct dimensions (as much as feasible anyway).
I've no reloading gear but I've heard of people loading bullets into cases using a lathe if anyone has the components knocking around (and an idea of how best to force the bullets in - with the tailstock?)

Any help appreciated, let me know what you have and how much you want for them.

Cheers
Dean
Alpha1

Re: Wanted - 7.62x54R Dummy/Practice Rounds

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Can no body in your shooting club help you. 15 dummy rounds is easy peasy. Why would you want to do it on a lathe.? What do you want them for exactly.
If you have a Mosin nagant rifle why would you want dummy rounds.
Demonic69

#3 Post by Demonic69 »

Hi alpha
It's a small bore club mainly so not too many reloaders and only one I've met, who only does .308.
The lathe would only help with seating the bullets as I dying have a press.
And why not?
Maggot

#4 Post by Maggot »

These are easy enough to put together but do yourself a favour.

Make sure they are clearly identifiable as a drill round so....

Holes drilled in cases

Primer removed and ideally pocket drilled

Kept seperately entirely from live and handled and used as live in a safe situation.

What case you use is up to you, I would suggest you get hold of brass so that poor cycling damages the case and not the rifle. Steel is more plentifull and harder wearing.

Our DP rounds used to get in a shocking state and were chrome plated.

If it were me I would possibly consider the impact of dry firing also, snap caps are made to look nothing like a live round and cannot be mistaken, but protect the firing pin.

Of couse I dont need to mention any of this, but there were reasons we never mixed live and blank or live and drill (apart from simulating IAs on a live range).
ovenpaa

#5 Post by ovenpaa »

I should have some spare 7,62x54R brass that has been through a rifle, I may even have some fired milsurp cases (Lets not call them brass!) Do you want me to build you a dozen or so dummy rounds? I would drill the primer pockets out so they are clearly empty when inspected. I happy to do this in exchange for your club making a very modest donation to the British Legion or similar.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Demonic69

#6 Post by Demonic69 »

Hi Maggot, thanks for the pointers, very helpful!
Ovenpaa, that would be brilliant, maggot and yourself are obviously right about the primers and pockets!
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

I think I have a box of 7.62x54 dummy rounds I will have a look.
Demonic69

#8 Post by Demonic69 »

Whatever is easiest for you guys, cheers!
I looked at snap caps initially but they're so expensive!
I'm hoping to 3D print some when I get time to finish building and calibrate the printer
Maggot

#9 Post by Maggot »

No worries, there have been a few accidents where folk have had mix ups.

Drill, Live and blank should never be stored together or mixed, the only exception I was party to was mixing DP rounds in with ball on a live range.

This was done by an RM SAAI years ago to simulate stoppages and worked a treat, but had to be done on a live range for obvious reasons.

I guess you would have got away with blank as well as there would have been no gas being tapped, so that could have been a gas stoppage rather than a misfire, but all needs careful handling (as live).

God alone knows what would happen if someone managed to put a ball round up something with a BFA....ouch....one good reason for keeping them seperate :o

Another reason for considering brass is that for drill use you really want unfired or full length re sized which will be easier with brass, as fired cases may be hard to chamber.

Dave knows what he is doing anway. I cannot help as I don't have the dies/machinery for this load.
Demonic69

#10 Post by Demonic69 »

Any luck guys?

Cheers