Shift work

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Demonic69

Re: Shift work

#11 Post by Demonic69 »

Move to Yorkshire and join my club, shooting every day of the week during daylight hours :D
Alpha1

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

Were about is that Club my friend sounds interesting.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Thurnscoe is in the Barnsley area.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Demonic69

#14 Post by Demonic69 »

Yeah, between Barnsley and Rotherham, 10 minutes up the road from South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies/Rimfire Magic.
All members get a key and you need a minimum of 2 people to open up the range, only one has to be a member, though the other can't shoot if they're not.
Is this not common practice?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

No full bore rifle and pistol cartridges BP over the chrono to ensure loads within range certificate limits I believe.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Egg on Leggs1

#16 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

"2 days 2 nights 4 off which means weekends for me only happen every 27/28 days"

When I started it was 3 days, 3 nights, 3 off, 56 hour week.

When I joined my club they were very understanding, I can't think of any reason a club would be willing to loose a recruit these days.
Demonic69

#17 Post by Demonic69 »

Yeah Adam, no rifle cartridges at ours at all yet, except .22, pistol calibre have to be chrono'd to be under the range limit, same with BP. They're hoping to do some work and get approval for larger calibres eventually
Steve E

#18 Post by Steve E »

I work permanent nights start at 20:00 finish at 0600 plus an hours travel each way to/from work. My local indoor club that I joined at the age of 16 refuse's to open before 20:00 despite the fact that most of the committee are retired and live within a 15 min walk or a 10 min drive of the club. I was a member for 30 years and shot for the county in several disciplines but when my work changed to permanent nights that cut no ice with the committee. I had no option but to cancel my membership and the County lost a team member. I now have no option but to restrict all my shooting to full bore primarily at Bisley as that is my closest range. That entails a 120 mile round trip once month during the winter season. Fortunately I have a caravan at Bisley so that during the Spring, Summer and Autumn I can more or less live on the range and shoot most weekends and one afternoon a week. I still wish that I had access to a local range to shoot small bore though. Some Clubs just don't do anything to encourage shooters or retain the ones that they have.
Sim G

#19 Post by Sim G »

But on the bright side, Steve, old committee members tend to die off....

Shift work is fine if you're just a recreational shooter, but for serious competition involvement, no hope....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Steve E

#20 Post by Steve E »

Sim G wrote:But on the bright side, Steve, old committee members tend to die off....

Shift work is fine if you're just a recreational shooter, but for serious competition involvement, no hope....
Unfortunately I am a very serious competition shooter and shift work does play havoc at times.
Still by being at Bisley a lot I mange to shoot TR for GB. and England so it is not all bad.