What path did you trace to shooting?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

StangGT

What path did you trace to shooting?

#1 Post by StangGT »

Apologies if this has been done to death before but as a relative newb to this, I was interested in how some of you folks progressed within the hobby.

So far, I've shot clays and game with shotguns, and I'm just getting in to PSG, which I'm doing by joining the NRA and a local PSG club. I'm nowhere near an FAC yet!

Anyone care to share?

Cheers... (Or skol)
techguy

Re: What path did you trace to shooting?

#2 Post by techguy »

Air rifles + Air pistols as a lad > Shooting on holiday in Florida with all kinds of fun stuff > Local indoor.22 club > Clay shooting > SGC > PSG/Minirifle/Multi Gun > FAC > More of the same, and now CSR as well... that's the short version of my story starting off as a teenager on friends farms etc, spanning about 20 years with breaks in between..
Sim G

#3 Post by Sim G »

Feck me, you've gone and done it! Some of the Old Codgers on here have been around since the advent of Blackpowder....

And I'm convinced that some have never owned or even fired a gun!

Family thing for me.... Been shooting 38 years. I'm now 45 years old...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Demonic69

#4 Post by Demonic69 »

Shot as a cadet as a youth, was reasonably good.
16 years later I was watching Piers Morgan on YouTube banging on about guns in America and how safe we are over here and it got wondering about our legislation and gun ownership. Was chatting to my dad about it and it turned out he works with the chairwoman of the club I've since joined. 6 months probation, full membership and just waiting on the FAC to arrive any day now.
Doz

#5 Post by Doz »

Air rifle and pistol in my youth, SLR and other government-type toys a bit later. Then shot proper pistols until the ban when I packed up. Started back with muzzle loading pistols about ten years ago, and rifles about six years ago.
zzr1100

#6 Post by zzr1100 »

Born in Rhodesia ... Nuff said !
Egg on Leggs1

#7 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

I shot extremely well in the Air Cadets if the look on the rock ape Flight Lieutenant was anything to go by but stopped when I left.

Various air rifles and pistols over the years until the best thing that happened in shooting since the war happened, the fool David Blunkett.

Having a firearms licence foisted on me left me with no alternative other than to get firearms.

God bless the fool David Blunkett, a few more politicians like him and we will be using automatic artillery in no time.
25Pdr

#8 Post by 25Pdr »

Started when I was twelve, (1958). Got a Diana springer air rifle, discovered that if you squirted model aircraft fuel into it, it detonated, giving God knows what power, I don't know, but explosion usually re-cocked the bloody thing. Combined with hollow air gun pellets filled with powdered match heads it became great fun, at night you could easily observe the fall of shot.

Getting bored with that I joined the local Artillery unit (TA) and got to fire no4s Bren Sten and Enfield 38/200 Pistol as well as 25Pdr Field Guns.

Had FAC since 1968 mostly Pistols until the ban after which I was left with one 22 RF Rifle. Got mad and decided to buy as many as possible just for spite, now have over 20 Guns and not finished yet. Member of three Clubs now.

BTW Sim...I used to make Black Gunpowder when I was a boy, you could quite easily buy the ingredients in the 1950s. :grin:
ovenpaa

#9 Post by ovenpaa »

Various air guns from an early age, started shooting at club level small bore aged 16, later moved to shotguns, then Pistols and finally full bore rifles.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#10 Post by dodgyrog »

Started in the ATC. I went once to a practice session and immediately got put in the Squadron team (1107 Sqdn West Essex Wing) - we came 3rd in the first comp we entered and I got a Bronze medal; HOOKED for life.
52 years on and it has cost me a fortune!!!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.