Dry Firing

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

philt

Dry Firing

#1 Post by philt »

Maybe stupid question, but is dry firing bad for a target rifle ?
Shotgun shooters have snap caps apparently, so are one or two snaps before the sighting shots bad?
The rifle , recently bought,is a Paramount, and in view of the cost, I may be becoming obsessive about doing bad things to it !
rox

Re: Dry Firing

#2 Post by rox »

philt wrote:Maybe stupid question, but is dry firing bad for a target rifle ?
Shotgun shooters have snap caps apparently, so are one or two snaps before the sighting shots bad?
The rifle , recently bought,is a Paramount, and in view of the cost, I may be becoming obsessive about doing bad things to it !
Not stupid at all. Dry shots really help to settle your position, work slack out of the sling etc, and prepare you mentally for the real shots. They also help to identify positional errors, and other potential problems (wrong foresight size, covers left on the foresight, identify the need for a polariser or filter, loose screws etc etc). I think many people don't take enough dry shots, especially when you consider how many shots it can take to settle into a shoot. Dry practice at home can be very useful too, and you can take it a step further with trainers like ths SCATT laser trainer.

Most folks tend to use a snap cap for peace of mind. I always have a couple in my ammo box. It also makes the whole dry-firing sequence a more 'real' and complete simulation of the shot sequence, plus it ensures that there isn't something else in the chamber (though not a substitute for a proper check, of course). It can be embarrassing to find that your dry shot is not as dry as you intended, as a certain international found out in recent years while preparing to shoot in an Imperial competition. Make sure you keep snap caps clean though, and in terms of looking after your rifle make sure you lubricate the appropriate parts, such as lug and cocking cam faces.

GazMorris

#3 Post by GazMorris »

Absolutely what Rox said.

Every single top-flight TR shooter I know takes at least two or three dry shots before a shoot. Additionally, dry firing and/or SCATT is a critical part of any good training programme for a TR shooter. In 2013 I did 2400 dry shots (with a snapcap) not including the 2 or 3 before every shoot, and in 2014 I'll probably do a similar number.

Gaz
philt

#4 Post by philt »

Thanks to you both. I have learned from this that snap caps are available, so will get a couple, and that it is a good practice to make sure things are in order.
Yes I find it a bit worrying after the No.4 , not being able to see into the receiver,if that is the right word.
Fredbloggs

#5 Post by Fredbloggs »

Is it true that you can damage the firing pin if you dry fire without a snap cap, especially 22 rimfire?

Best regards

Fred
Charlie Muggins

#6 Post by Charlie Muggins »

Fredbloggs wrote:Is it true that you can damage the firing pin if you dry fire without a snap cap, especially 22 rimfire?

Best regards

Fred
In a rimfire, yes. Furthermore you can damage the part of the breech against which the firing pin normally squeezes the rim of the cartridge, which can cause all sorts of ignition and extraction issues. Many centrefires are fine, but not all. Like many risky behaviours you may get away with it once, you may get awway with it a thousand times, or you might get caught first time out. Snap caps or empty cases aren't expensive but repairs can be.
Egg on Leggs1

#7 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

You can get dry fire firing pins for a lot of rim fire firearms.

Thinking about it, try saying that when you are bladdered.
Fredbloggs

#8 Post by Fredbloggs »

Forgot about the firing pin striking the breech on a rimfire, makes mucho sense.
They say you learn something everyday.

Many thanks

fred
Jackmanuk

#9 Post by Jackmanuk »

a way to check is if your firepin protrudes past the face of the bolt , in which case it will be striking your breech face and not the best of ideas , my cz 455 dusnt protude at all so i dry fire away till i run out of ammo :)