Chicken or Egg?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: Chicken or Egg?

#11 Post by Geek »

I have a Steyr Aug Z, with a 2.5-10x32 FFP (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle).

I use mine for plinking, you could try civilian service rifle for more competition.

I have seen them advertised for £1500+, but I paid less for mine. The magazines are expensive £66 (10 round) and £77ish (30round): also have a moderator and a brass catcher (it pings the brass across the range!).

I will upload pictures sometime.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
StangGT

#12 Post by StangGT »

Well, I'm off to Bisley on Sunday for my probationer's course. Quite looking forward to it really!

Anyone care to elaborate on what i can expect from the day?

I presume waterproofs are essential!?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by IainWR »

Waterproof clothing, not sure, though you will be outdoors and not under cover. Waterproof footwear I would say is essential at the moment; Bisley is still just about awash after all the rain, and will take some time to dry out.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

Geek wrote:I have a Steyr Aug Z, with a 2.5-10x32 FFP (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... oa-reticle).

I use mine for plinking, you could try civilian service rifle for more competition.

I have seen them advertised for £1500+, but I paid less for mine. The magazines are expensive £66 (10 round) and £77ish (30round): also have a moderator and a brass catcher (it pings the brass across the range!).

I will upload pictures sometime.
phew! I may need to sell some of my 30 rd mags at that price! I prefer to launch the brass back into the bin at Short Siberia tongueout
Maggot

#15 Post by Maggot »

For my part, I agree with Steve East (But dont yet have the requisite to win regularly).

However, this is what I think is important.

I got back into shooting with one thing in mind, to shoot something with a bolt at 1000yds, that was it.

I ended up joining an F class club and soon realised that to be competitive it was going to cost, so several k the poorer (but much richer for the experience) I own a competitive rig and compete quite convincingly when I get my act together.

I dont buy the "Compete against yourself" argument in the long term, in spite of the fact that I sell it to people who are just starting, simply because you just dont know until you try so never rule it out.

My advice would be to do the folowing (its already been said to be fair).

Take a good, hard look at the disciplines you think you may be interested in (and as importantly them that does it).

Keep an open mind, there are many out there who cannot see further than the end of their rear sight when it comes to the validity of other disciplines, they will kill shooting off if they are not careful.

Where possible, partake if you can, and talk to those at both ends, good and just starting.

Ignore the walts.

Then consider what to buy.

Dont take too much notice of advice given by those who dont shoot the discipline in which you are interested, your advice needs to be born of experience not rumour or prejudice.

Or if you cannot decide, buy a scoped .308 Remmy 700 with a harris bipod.

They are simple, robust, affordable and will handle quite a few distances and disciplines while you drift into a niche (or not) and .308 rewards the tryer.

and then decide to sell it and get a custom built F/TR rig and shoot properly.....

Traaaaa :55:
HALODIN

#16 Post by HALODIN »

Can someone define "walt" for me please?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Maggot

#18 Post by Maggot »

HALODIN wrote:Can someone define "walt" for me please?
No worries.

Walt...walter mitty....maybee wannabee....fantasy figure usually found hunched over a laptop in the attic with a box of tissues.

The OTT, dressed to kill, unppropriately behaving, usually non exe forces all of whom have served with the SAS/SBS/CO19 (and are proud to let you know about this somehow) and have a massive library of good (but invariably incorrect or downright illegal) advice.

They do not HAVE to dress to kill, but many seem to manage.

This info is usually offered without prompting....I saw/heard one having a good look round to make sure everyone in earshot heard the pearl of wisdom.....sadly he was not wearing actives so did not hear myself and an exe bootie stood behind him say "Tosser"....again a word of wisdom lost in the ether tesnews

They come in different grades, some just talk the talk.

Some talk the talk but genuinely believe they can walk the walk (or have walked the walk) as well (usually routed out easilly by asking a few probing questions and some background knowledge)

They are out there but thankfully rare.

Then there are walts like me who blame my shooting on everything but lack of ability ;)

Walt. In short living in another reality and usually capable of spinning yarns only another walt would believe.

read "Bullshitter".

Get it?
HALODIN

#19 Post by HALODIN »

Thanks both, I get it! :grin:
Matt

#20 Post by Matt »

Maggot wrote:
HALODIN wrote:Can someone define "walt" for me please?
No worries.

Walt...walter mitty....maybee wannabee....fantasy figure usually found hunched over a laptop in the attic with a box of tissues.

The OTT, dressed to kill, unppropriately behaving, usually non exe forces all of whom have served with the SAS/SBS/CO19 (and are proud to let you know about this somehow) and have a massive library of good (but invariably incorrect or downright illegal) advice.

They do not HAVE to dress to kill, but many seem to manage.

This info is usually offered without prompting....I saw/heard one having a good look round to make sure everyone in earshot heard the pearl of wisdom.....sadly he was not wearing actives so did not hear myself and an exe bootie stood behind him say "Tosser"....again a word of wisdom lost in the ether tesnews

They come in different grades, some just talk the talk.

Some talk the talk but genuinely believe they can walk the walk (or have walked the walk) as well (usually routed out easilly by asking a few probing questions and some background knowledge)

They are out there but thankfully rare.

Then there are walts like me who blame my shooting on everything but lack of ability ;)

Walt. In short living in another reality and usually capable of spinning yarns only another walt would believe.

read "Bullshitter".

Get it?

good explanation but I can't possibly imagine you calling someone a tosser tongueout