Getting kids to try shooting

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

StangGT

Getting kids to try shooting

#1 Post by StangGT »

I was interested to learn the views of the forum as to how best to introduce kids to shooting?
After all, they are (hopefully) the future of the sport!
I have 3 girls myself (9,7 & 1); unfortunately I don't own enough land for them to try it at home but the 9yr old and the 7yr old would love to give it a go. Any thoughts folks? What is generally considered to be about the right age to start, and with what and where?

Thanks all

StangGT
Demonic69

Re: Getting kids to try shooting

#2 Post by Demonic69 »

I think the 2 eldest would be ok with a light .22, they make loads of youth models now. Or a normal rifle with some support.
Are you a member of a club? My club does open days and encourages children to shoot on them. Once they're full members, you get a joint membership, they can shoot with you whenever.
I can't wait til mine are old enough :-)

I don't read my own signature!
StangGT

#3 Post by StangGT »

Well I'm only probational at section 1 stuff but have been clay shooting since 2011. When I've enquired at clay grounds, they seem pretty disinterested as I suppose it's a hassle for them. What is the right age do you think?
Demonic69

#4 Post by Demonic69 »

As soon as they can hold a rifle in my opinion :-) Although I think if they're showing an interest it's the right age.

I don't read my own signature!
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#5 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Is there an airgun shop with a plinking range out back that you can go? Start there (because it's quiet) then if they like it move on to .22lr
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Geek
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

My Son shoot a 410 at a few clays aged about 9 when I was having a lesson at a clay range: he is keen to try other forms of shooting, he is now aged 10, nearly 11. Unfortunately the shooting ranges where I shoot either do not allow juniors under 14, or they are currently in discussion with GMP on the eligibility of under 17/18 to shoot.

I will keep you informed of progress.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Dave 101

#7 Post by Dave 101 »

Hi
7 is old enough to try a .22 lr , with eye and ear protection noise wont be a problem , here is a decent rifle for children
http://www.crickett.com/crickett_22_LR.php , single shot and the plunger on the rear of the bolt has to be pulled back to cock it once the bolt is closed so very safe to use . An alternative is to find an old garden gun in .22 rf less than £50 . Another idea is to ask around clubs and see if they have any old rifles for sale that have been used for younsters in the past .

Dave
StangGT

#8 Post by StangGT »

Where to shoot it tho Dave101? I think I might get a little air rifle and set up a tin can alley at my folks' place... Could be a bit of fun...
zzr1100

#9 Post by zzr1100 »

I started my daughter with an air rifle when she was 5 ... A .410 when she was 7 .. She is now 11 and beat me in the club "skill at arms" competition at Xmas !!
(I won't allow her to shoot unsupervised)
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

My grandson is 15 he has had a go with .22 bolt action a 38 special underlever. Air weapons since he was about 13.
He has just discovered girls and thinks they are much more interesting.