Nikko Gameking- Mildot Rangefinding

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

gibspoon

Nikko Gameking- Mildot Rangefinding

#1 Post by gibspoon »

Hello folks breaking my question-cherry on the forum. Go easy! I have a Nikko Gameking 6-24 x 50. As its a cheapo, its a second focal plane effort. There is next to no information about them online, or in the instructions when I got it. From what I can find online, for reasonably accurate Mil Dot range estimation, most of these types of scope have to use either full magnification or x10. Is anyone able to shed any light on what magnification I should use on this particular scope to be able to use the mil dots properly?

Many Thanks
Gibbo
ovenpaa

Re: Nikko Gameking- Mildot Rangefinding

#2 Post by ovenpaa »

Do you see a number with a ring around it or a mark on the zoom ring? This is usually the magnification setting for ranging.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DOGGER2UK

#3 Post by DOGGER2UK »

Simple really….make a 100mm square in black on a white card, place the card 100 mtrs from the scope and adjust the zoom until the black square fills 1 mrad in the reticle…make a note of the magnification. Use this setting to range over all distances.
gibspoon

#4 Post by gibspoon »

Thanks folks- rushed upstairs like a nutter to check the markings on the zoom ring hoping I'd missed the obvious- afraid not. No markings. Looks like it's the card method for me!

Cheers
carlsenior

#5 Post by carlsenior »

Out of curiosity what rifle is it going on ? I put one on a CZ527 in .223, fell apart after a day on the range, reticule turned and front lens chipped on the inside, returned it and got a Nighteater - No problems since :goodjob:
gibspoon

#6 Post by gibspoon »

It's on a CZ455 TH in HMR, so it SHOULD be up to the task without issue. I've not had it long, but I'm already thinking about upgrading to something better. I see now that its pointless putting a third rate scope on a half decent rifle.