QR rings or bigger cabinet

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

AlieN

QR rings or bigger cabinet

#1 Post by AlieN »

Being new to all this, but already a clay shooter, I already have a cabinet for my shotguns.

Initially at least, this cabinet has the space in it to store 2 rifles, but it is not a deep cabinet so would require any scopes to be removed from rifles before placing into the cabinet.

So, I think my options are to either get a scope mount with QR type attachments so that I can remove the scope from the rifle easily, or just accept the inevitable and get a bigger (and deeper) cabinet. If I can defer getting a bigger cabinet for a while it might help with the "estate manager".

Does anybody have experience with QR scope mounts (for example those by Warne)? How much accuracy should I be able to expect when refitting the scope to the rifle?

Thanks,

AlieN
Dazza9t9

Re: QR rings or bigger cabinet

#2 Post by Dazza9t9 »

I'm a shotgunner at the moment and in a similar position. When my FAC is granted I am going to get a second safe, purely as I don't want to keep detaching the scope thus negating the need to re zero.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

I know another forum shooter who uses QR rings and does ok with return to zero. I guess he paid a good price for quality rings.
Personally, if space allows, I would use the SG safe as an ammo safe and buy the largest rifle safe you can aford and get in your house. This will allow you to expand your collection as and when you can,

DM
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Wot DM says... :good:

...and as Jeff said...then be prepared to get an additional safe the year after tongueout
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Buy the biggest safe you can find.
PrecisionGunnerUK

#6 Post by PrecisionGunnerUK »

... and make sure it's a deep one if your housing scoped rifles.

Otherwise they aren't deep enough to keep the scopes on, which defeats the purpose.
Cheers
Paul M.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

Buy as big cabinet as you can fit and afford, remember that gun cabinets are sized based on shotguns not scoped rifles.
A five gun cabinet will probably hold 2/3 rifles so ahead to what you might want in the future.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#8 Post by DanTheMan »

Warne QR rings are very good, I have used some on my AR15 for years and never had a zero shift when removing the scope. I'm about to bung a set in the for sale section as I have upgraded to an ADR forward mount as I have changed scope.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

QR= Quick release.
SG= Shot Gun.
ADR - No idea.
JS569

#10 Post by JS569 »

DanTheMan wrote:Warne QR rings are very good, I have used some on my AR15 for years and never had a zero shift when removing the scope. I'm about to bung a set in the for sale section as I have upgraded to an ADR forward mount as I have changed scope.
Agreed, i take my scope off regularly to use different sight arrangements and my warne qd rings don't seem to shift the zero