.308/7.62 calibre question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

HALODIN

Re: .308/7.62 calibre question

#11 Post by HALODIN »

Glad you got it sorted!
Maggot

#12 Post by Maggot »

I wonder how much time they will save on variations etc when they do the following.

1. License by calibre (as they are supposed to).

2. IF they want to be anal, then give specific ammunition allocations to different chamberings.

When you sell/buy you are legally required to inform them so whats the difference between 2 rifles chambered for 7.62x51 or a 7.62x51 and a 7.62x39 (and dont prattle on about technicalities as some pedants no doubt will, a .30 cal hole is a .30 cal hole) emrolleyes

Saves loads of messing about with variations etc.

Believe it or not, in Hants a .308 is a Deer round....funny that.

I am not allowed a .308/7.62x51 slot, I have to have 2 different slots (although the rifles shoot the same thing albeit with a slightly different load).

The upside is that I can hold as much .308 ammo as I can 7.62x51....so as long as it aint milsurp or in a marked box...
Demonic69

#13 Post by Demonic69 »

I have a 7.62 slot so I can have any chambering that suits :-) technically I could buy any ammo I like up to my limit too, not sure why I would though :-)

I don't read my own signature!
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#14 Post by Mattnall »

My father has a 30cal slot, he's used it for (at various times) 308 and 30carb, it is now a 30-30.

Mine went from 308 to 300Whisper.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Maggot

#15 Post by Maggot »

And no laws broken.

No one maimed or killed, and an easier time for the FEO....

A win/win situation, truly a first for British shooting!!
mackie

#16 Post by mackie »

Does anyone have simply ".30 cal" on their FAC enabling them to purchase anything ~0.3" in diameter? Or does every force want a chambering these days?
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#17 Post by Mattnall »

mackie wrote:Does anyone have simply ".30 cal" on their FAC enabling them to purchase anything ~0.3" in diameter? Or does every force want a chambering these days?
Take a look two posts above your one. emrolleyes

A 30cal slot won't allow you to get a .303 though, that's not 30cal. If you don't know your calibres then you could be in for a spot of trouble.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
zanes

#18 Post by zanes »

Slightly more limited options, but I have a .44 slot on my FAC (filled with a 44 Mag). There again, I have a .44-40 slot too.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#19 Post by meles meles »

Warwickshire are sensible, and understand the law. They simply specify calibre, not chamber, so we currently have variations for 7.62mm (.308"), .44", 7 mm. When we purchase a rifle we simply tell them what it is and they enter it on their records as such, so the 7.62 slot we have can be used for x51, x39 or 54R and they will mark up the certificate and ammunition allocation accordingly when they next update it.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"