progressing from targets to vermin

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Tony-c

progressing from targets to vermin

#1 Post by Tony-c »

Hi all. Just after some advice before i ring licensing next week
Ive got fac already with target conditions but recently Ive been asked by a few people if i can help with rabbit control and possibly some foxing later if the farmer is too busy.
initially Im looking at just a .22lr for bunnies. What do i need to do. Ive heard of people in my force having centrefire vermin facs opened up after 6 months no issues.
would just asking for an open .22lr ticket be silly?
Mr_Logic

Re: progressing from targets to vermin

#2 Post by Mr_Logic »

It depends on your good reason. If you are going to have a few bits of fixed land and then shoot on them, El Plod will just clear those bits. if, OTOH, you are going to have a changing variety of permissions, then they may well give you an open ticket to start with.
JS569

#3 Post by JS569 »

I had static land for years but in the last 2 years i got an open cert for .22 and tried for .223 but having just got the rifle west yorks were keen I had it for a year before they granted me an open cert. I never actually bothered doing it but across 223 and 6.5 it's something I would like to do.

If you can give a good enough reason there shouldn't be a problem but each force is different. I would also suggest becoming a basc member to help with insurance etc.
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Tony-c wrote:Hi all. Just after some advice before i ring licensing next week
Ive got fac already with target conditions but recently Ive been asked by a few people if i can help with rabbit control and possibly some foxing later if the farmer is too busy.
initially Im looking at just a .22lr for bunnies. What do i need to do. Ive heard of people in my force having centrefire vermin facs opened up after 6 months no issues.
would just asking for an open .22lr ticket be silly?
As the other guys have said, if you can justify a centrefire - and the land is cleared for centrefire use - then you might be OK, but I suspect that you may need to wait a few months before any CF variation is granted.

For bunnies, your .22lr kit should be fine, although if you are using a single shot target rifle then you will benefit from an upgrade to a semi or bolt action. Again, this will be dependent on the suitability of the land in question. ;)
Tony-c

#5 Post by Tony-c »

thanks, I rung them, and have followed up with a letter.

only after the .22lr being for vermin, have several so all avenues are covered :)

getting the .223 sorted for vermin isnt such a priority but I have mentioned that I would like it in the future, but I know that I only have 2 places I would be using that currently so offered to have that closed to them pieces of land if it made them happier