just starting out

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dougan

Re: just starting out

#11 Post by Dougan »

Frere wrote:Please could I ask why it is best to buy second hand when a newbie like myself wouldn't necessarily know what to watch out for in a second hand firearm?

Frere
With old bolt action .22 target rifles it's hard to go wrong...most were well built, and as long as they've been reasonably well looked after will still be shooting as well as they were 20/30 years ago (.22 rimfire causes very little wear compared to fullbore).
Frere

#12 Post by Frere »

Dougan wrote:
Frere wrote:Please could I ask why it is best to buy second hand when a newbie like myself wouldn't necessarily know what to watch out for in a second hand firearm?

Frere
With old bolt action .22 target rifles it's hard to go wrong...most were well built, and as long as they've been reasonably well looked after will still be shooting as well as they were 20/30 years ago (.22 rimfire causes very little wear compared to fullbore).
So, very generally speaking, second hand .22rf's should be ok, and with a first full bore, best to buy new?

Frere
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Personally I never buy new off the shelf rifles, there are far too many good second hand bargains out there.

Depending on what you want to do and the type os shooting you are doing a new barrel fitted now and then could be necessary.

If you are unsure about buying second hand then get an experienced shooter to help you check over the purchase, I never buy full bore rifles without having inspected them first. 22s i'm prepared to take a punt on.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Frere

#14 Post by Frere »

many thanks for your comments Dromia, Caveat Emptor as always.

Just that I would like my first rifle, be it small or full bore, to be a keeper. Something like a CZ 455 with full stock mannlicher style would be a very nice start.

My current thinking is for acquiring rifles is target initially and be able to use the rifles for vermin/hunting as and when opportunities arise, sorting out a place for pre DS1 and DS1 atm.

Frere
Dougan

#15 Post by Dougan »

As Dromia said; there's lots of good secondhand rifles out there, but if you can get someone who knows their stuff to have a look at it with you that would be best.

I've only ever bought one rifle from new, but it was for a specific purpose (Under-lever Gallery shooting) and I knew exactly what I wanted - Other rifles I've bought second hand from club mates (so already know it's a good rifle), second hand from an RFD (got to try it first), and a few years back I bought a Mauser from someone on this forum...it was bought unseen and on trust...it turned out to be a good bargain and a keeper.

There's been a few threads on here by folk asking what rifle to buy (there's one halfway down the page now) - If you put "first rifle" (or similar search) into the search function you'll find some good advice from the past - But you could start your own topic asking for your specific requirements...the more info you give (what you want it for, distances and courses of fire you want to shoot with it, is it just for fun or do you want to be competitive etc.) the easier it'll be to give you the right advice...
Dougan

#16 Post by Dougan »

Frere wrote:many thanks for your comments Dromia, Caveat Emptor as always.

Just that I would like my first rifle, be it small or full bore, to be a keeper. Something like a CZ 455 with full stock mannlicher style would be a very nice start.

My current thinking is for acquiring rifles is target initially and be able to use the rifles for vermin/hunting as and when opportunities arise, sorting out a place for pre DS1 and DS1 atm.

Frere
What sort of 'target' shooting? - I picked up a second hand Ruger 10/22 for £200...it's as good as I need for small bore gallery target shooting, and would also be a very good 'vermin' gun...but wouldn't do for proper target shooting; which I have a much heavier single shot bolt action rifle for...
Frere

#17 Post by Frere »

Lightweight sporting rifle.

Seemed a good starting point, get the basic drills sorted, along with habitual safe gun handling and usage. Use that to branch out as my interests, skills, develop. Will always remain a member (that is if the the club passes me for full, am into my 13th week) as its a good friendly club and would need a small bore range with regular attendance to keep up and improve marksmanship (if its not pretentious to describe my admittedly low base skill as such!) and branch out.

It would eventually be a mix of fun, competition (always good incentive to improve), hunting and always have been interested in history, so I suppose at some point a K31 or a surplus of some kind would wind its way into the safe (no left side hinges, just hang it upside down! as per a thread on safe storage elsewhere)

Frere
Last edited by Frere on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

The other thing is not to rush at a purchase, shoot as many guns as you can in as many shooting types as you can and just see what feels best for you. Being comfortable with a firearm is a very important part of shooting.

You also need to think about the type of shooting you are going to do and the amount of rounds you want to put down range in a session especially in relation to full bore.

The CZs are very good guns and are justly popular especially in 22. Have a look at my web sight for some examples.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Frere

#19 Post by Frere »

Dromia,